New York City
    Which Internal Drive is Best?
    Have a Mid-2007 Macbook and the hard drive just died. Looks pretty easy to perform a DIY replacement, but what's not so easy is figuring out which to buy. Been reading a ton, and all I've decided is that I'm going with a 5400 because I don't do much video editing or graphics work.

I've read that the WD Blue Scorpio has parking issues so I'm leaning against that model, and leaning toward this one: - SAMSUNG Spinpoint M7E HM501II 500GB 5400 RPM 8MB Cache 2.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s Internal Notebook Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Any input or ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Fort Worth, Texas
    27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, El Capitan
    I would stay away from anything Samsung or Toshiba when it comes to hard drives. Hitachi, WD, Seagate, are usually a better choice. As for spin rotation, nothing wrong with buying a 7200 RPM drive which will give some better access times and speed.

You should be able to buy one locally or on line. Maybe better to buy on line and save all the NY sales tax. Try Other World Computing.

Seattle, WA
    2011 MB Air Core i7 256GB, 2011 Mini with 8GB RAM, iPad 2, iPhone 4S, 2TB Time Capsule
    I would say that Western Digital is a fantastic call. I run their drives in my Windows box, and have a pair of their external drives. Can't say that I have ever had a bad experience with their drives.

New York City
    Thanks for the replies. Appreciated.

Amazon gave me some nutty offers and for $59 I'm getting the Scorpio Blue 320G on Thursday. Would have gone bigger, but really, I was at less than half of capacity on a 160 after more than four years, so doubling it seemed sensible (and cheaper). Also read a ton of stories about vibration issues with the 7200s. That kind of put me off.

Plus never know when I'm going to need a new laptop, anyway. Like my new one to have SSD and Apple is going to work with me when I need it. Had a bunch of 'crackbook' problems with my current machine. It's been in five times for that and a related problem. As in when they replaced the case and two days later I tried to insert a DVD and it wouldn't go in. They'd re-seated the optical drive incorrectly . But that's a longer story I won't get into here.

Thanks, again!

Lake Mary, Florida
    15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD
    I've been really happy with Hitachi drives recently. Not sure if they still make it, but the Hitachi Travelstar 7k500 is what I was using up until I switched to an SSD and it's a great drive - quiet, fast and power efficient.
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

Thread Information