Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1


    Member Since
    Dec 27, 2011
    Posts
    3
    Help: MacBook Air 13.3" with i7 running Adobe CS5?
    Hi guys,

    Current Win7 user looking to make the move to Apple and need some help from people who obviously know more about Apple Hardware/Software than I do.

    Bottom Line: Can the newest version of the MacBook Air run Adobe CS5 Master Collection?

    I've watched some online video and it looks to be significantly faster than the older version MacBook Pro's....

    My plan was to buy the 13.3" version, but then tie-into larger Apple Monitor in-office for design work.

    Any advice would be sincerely appreciated....


    Matthew.

  2. #2

    chscag's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 23, 2008
    Location
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Posts
    48,213
    Specs:
    Late 2013 27" iMac, iPad 3, iPhone 6s+, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, El Capitan
    Since you plan on using the Adobe CS5 Master Collection, I'm assuming you're doing so professionally? The reason I ask is because the MBA while a great platform for the traveler and casual user, in my opinion is not suitable for doing things like graphic design. Memory is limited and can not be expanded, hard drive size (SSD) is likewise limited because of cost. Add to that the HD 3000 Intel integrated GPU which borrows memory from the system, and no optical drive, you may be disappointed in its performance.

  3. #3

    _Stormin's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 25, 2011
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    295
    Specs:
    2011 MB Air Core i7 256GB, 2011 Mini with 8GB RAM, iPad 2, iPhone 4S, 2TB Time Capsule
    Yeah, I am going to agree with chscag...

    There is a serious amount of system resources that CS5 takes up. I have it on my Windows box, and can't imagine attempting to run it on my MacBook Air. It would take up just far to much space on the SSD.

  4. #4


    Member Since
    Dec 27, 2011
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    Since you plan on using the Adobe CS5 Master Collection, I'm assuming you're doing so professionally? The reason I ask is because the MBA while a great platform for the traveler and casual user, in my opinion is not suitable for doing things like graphic design. Memory is limited and can not be expanded, hard drive size (SSD) is likewise limited because of cost. Add to that the HD 3000 Intel integrated GPU which borrows memory from the system, and no optical drive, you may be disappointed in its performance.
    I am using professionally for graphic/web design....but I'm really only in CS5 maybe 5% of my day, if that.

    With that in mind, I'm really hoping the power/speed combo would suffice as I love the ultralight package.

    RE: Additional Memory - I did a quick inventory of what's on my PC, and I don't even have 100 GB's of programs/content now....and in that 100 GB, I have a bunch of stuff that should be deleted. With that in mind, with the 256 GB in flash memory, I figure I should be okay.

    With that in mind, does that change your recommendation? If not, what hardware would you recommend?

    Thanks again guys.....


    Sincerely, M.

  5. #5

    chscag's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 23, 2008
    Location
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Posts
    48,213
    Specs:
    Late 2013 27" iMac, iPad 3, iPhone 6s+, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, El Capitan
    There is no question as to its portability and excellent workmanship. I still think, however, for doing any kind of graphic design you may wish to get something more powerful. Of course that means more $$ and a larger machine to lug around. You sound like you're sold on an Air. Buy it and use it for a week. You have up to two weeks to return it to Apple for a full refund.

  6. #6


    Member Since
    Dec 27, 2011
    Posts
    2
    I have a friend who's a graphic design major and her professor suggests the pro over the macbook air.

    I've run photoshop CS5 on my MBA (i5, 11") without a hitch but I can't really comment on more intense work loads because I haven't touched a tablet or seriously used the program in ages.
    But from the three months I've had this computer I don't see any major deficit that would indicate why you shouldn't use a MBA. I've run like 4 desktops with 6 pdf's 3 words, imovie, audacity, photoshop and safari altogether during finals week for hours on end (computer abuse, I know) without it slowing down a hair so I think that's an indicator that this tiny machine is built to work.

  7. #7


    Member Since
    Dec 27, 2011
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    There is no question as to its portability and excellent workmanship. I still think, however, for doing any kind of graphic design you may wish to get something more powerful. Of course that means more $$ and a larger machine to lug around. You sound like you're sold on an Air. Buy it and use it for a week. You have up to two weeks to return it to Apple for a full refund.
    Apple will let me do that?

    That is absolutely wonderful!

    Thanks so much to all for the feedback. Exceedingly helpful.


    Cheers, Matthew.

  8. #8


    Member Since
    Mar 20, 2013
    Posts
    2
    Adobe CS5 for MBA
    Quote Originally Posted by CB00097 View Post
    Apple will let me do that?

    That is absolutely wonderful!

    Thanks so much to all for the feedback. Exceedingly helpful.


    Cheers, Matthew.

    How is the Macbook Air working out for you with CS5 installed? I'm considering to do the same.

    Cheers, Angela

  9. #9

    pigoo3's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 20, 2008
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    34,532
    Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    Quote Originally Posted by LVM314 View Post
    How is the Macbook Air working out for you with CS5 installed? I'm considering to do the same.

    Cheers, Angela
    Just an FYI. 2+ year-old thread...OP hasn't posted on Mac-Forums for over a year.

    - Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Adobe CS5 or CS6 for Macbook Air
    By LVM314 in forum OS X - Operating System
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-21-2013, 05:37 AM
  2. Macbook pro 13 inch and adobe cs5.5?
    By schunn99 in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-19-2012, 09:03 PM
  3. Adobe CS5 MacBook Pro Running slower
    By ChristinaB007 in forum OS X - Apps and Games
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-18-2010, 07:13 PM
  4. Adobe testing an "optimized" version of Flash for MacBook Air
    By the8thark in forum Apple Rumors and Reports
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-19-2010, 11:58 PM
  5. New imac 27" i3 3.20 Ghz - Adobe CS5
    By Go Coffee in forum Apple Desktops
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-23-2010, 11:58 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •