New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Using a Macbook Air as your primary computer.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Camcrid

Camcrid is on a distinguished road

Our PC is dying and my wife wants to get an MBA to use are the primary house computer. Any you folks have suggestions on this?
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

It really depends on what you will be doing with it and if you can live with an external optical drive if CD's or DVD's play a major role in your computing in which case a MBP which is as close to a desktop replacement as there is unless of course we are talking Mac Pro.
QUOTE Thanks
Deckyon

Deckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really nice
Mac Specs: MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM

Can't see an issue with it. Of course, it all dends on what you need it to do. I would recommend a larger monitor for extended use.

Keep in mind, it is a full blown computer.

MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6750M 1GB RAM
MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256MB RAM
iPhone 5S 64GB, iPad Air 2 128 GB LTE, iPod Nano Gen6 8GB, Apple TV 3 & 2
QUOTE Thanks
DavidHH

DavidHH has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 21.5" iMac i5 2.9 Ghz, 15" MBPro i7 2.0 Ghz, iPhone 5, iPhone 4s, ATV2, ATV3, iPad2, iPad Mini

Keep your eyes and ears open.
There are strong rumours of a 15" MacBook Air in the works (Q1/Q2) and this might be a suggestion for extended use.

DavidH
QUOTE Thanks
MacLicious

MacLicious will become famous soon enough

If it was the desktop replacement, I would go for at least a 15" MacBook Pro, preferably the 17" with upgraded processor and ram.

AWAITING A GOLD iPHONE 6 128GB // MacBook Air mid2011 i5 4gb ram 256SSD // 2009 24"iMac 3.06 C2D nVidia 130GT 512mb // iPad Mini 64gb SOLD // iPad2 64gb 3G // iPhone4 32gb SOLD // iPod Nano Gen5 // iPod Shuffle 2gb Gen4 // iPod Video 80gb //
QUOTE Thanks
_Stormin

_Stormin has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 2011 MB Air Core i7 256GB, 2011 Mini with 8GB RAM, iPad 2, iPhone 4S, 2TB Time Capsule

If you're buying a display to go with it, even an 11" MBA will handle browsing, email, etc... The one thing that you may run into is storage space limitations. That's easily resolved with a simple external hard drive.
QUOTE Thanks
Mini_mi

Mini_mi is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2011 MacBook Air, i5 27" IMac, 2010 21.5" IMac, 2010 Mini, 2011 13" MBP, IPhone 4, Airport Extreme

As others have mentioned, it would depend on your use. If portability isn't an issue, my recommendation would be go with an IMac. Big beautiful screen, plenty of ports for connecting devices, same cost.
QUOTE Thanks
babycakes

babycakes is on a distinguished road

I am a full time student using the MBA as my main / only computer so far and its been great.

If all you really do is do work (run spreadsheets and word documents), swap emails, and casual internet browsing, it should be fine.

If you don't really travel with the laptop though, I don't see why you don't look at the pro or imac first because it has more outlets and the CD drive and more storage space.
QUOTE Thanks
XJ-linux

XJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBookAir5,2:10.9.5-MacMini3,1:10.9.5-iPhone6,1:8.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camcrid View Post
Our PC is dying and my wife wants to get an MBA to use are the primary house computer. Any you folks have suggestions on this?
OP... if you post back in this thread what you intend to use the computer for you may get some relevant input. Short of that, replies are sort of like shooting in the dark.

"Those who don't understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." Henry Spencer
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« "Sleep" Won't Sleep, Sort Of | MBA SSD replacement question »