Question about macbook pro 2011
    Hello -

I would like a macbook pro to make some videos for my online business. Mainly, I would use Keynote and iMovie. I'm not that familiar with these programs; I would need to do some voice recording along with the presentations, and if they don't allow me to point at things during the presentations, I would likely need to use a screen capture program (like Camtasia) to record things.

I am not a gamer.

So my question is: given all of the above, are the following macbook pro specifications good enough for me?

2.0GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 processor
    500 GB Hard Drive @ 5400rpm, 8x DVD/CD SuperDrive, 4 GB DDR3 RAM
    15.4 inch LED-backlit display, 1440-by-900 resolution
    AMD Radeon HD 6490M graphics processor with 256MB of GDDR5 memory

This is on sale right now in my area for $1549 plus tax. It comes pre-loaded with the latest version of Snow Leopard, not Lion.

Mainly, I want to know that there won't be significant lag time or freezing or any other signs of strain and sub-optimal performance with my videos.

The most recent version of this is 2.2GHz and has double the MB in the graphics processor, and also runs Lion. Is it worth the extra $300 or so to get the most recent version, or will the specs outlined above suffice for what I need?

Thanks so much for any help that anyone can offer.

seems more than capable enough for what you need.

Quote Originally Posted by Andres87 View Post
    seems more than capable enough for what you need.
    Thanks for the reply. Could you please let me know if you have experience doing the work that I've described? I just want a sense of what your opinion is based on.

Thanks a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by mac2333 View Post
    Thanks for the reply. Could you please let me know if you have experience doing the work that I've described? I just want a sense of what your opinion is based on.

Thanks a lot.
    well I use a dual core i5 (2011 13 inch) for editing videos in final cut pro x and I also use autocad and sketch up pro with no problems and keep in mind that the 13 inch model I have doesnt even have a dedicated graphics chip like the one you mentioned, so if mine does this with no issues so should yours

well I use a dual core i5 (2011 13 inch) for editing videos in final cut pro x and I also use autocad and sketch up pro with no problems and keep in mind that the 13 inch model I have doesnt even have a dedicated graphics chip like the one you mentioned, so if mine does this with no issues so should yours
    Thanks a million. This is all I need to know. I will go with the 2.0 GHz and 256 video processing version. Really appreciate you taking the time to help.

Thanks a million. This is all I need to know. I will go with the 2.0 GHz and 256 video processing version. Really appreciate you taking the time to help.
    no problem enjoy your Mac.

no problem enjoy your Mac.
    Thanks a lot. It's my first ever experience with a mac. It's charging up right now. I anticipate that this will be a new phase of my life.

Happy 2012.

Thanks a lot. It's my first ever experience with a mac. It's charging up right now. I anticipate that this will be a new phase of my life.

Happy 2012.
    Happy new year and new mac lol

Thread Information