New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Password on 11" Air

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Deadon

Deadon is on a distinguished road

I got a used 11" air for Xmas. I am unable to get the password or reset it. It is running Snow Leopard. The USB system installer will not let me reset the password or boot without a password. I can't get it to boot twith an external CD with Snow Leopard disc in it. Is there some way I can just dump the system and software and reinstall?
QUOTE Thanks
MacLicious

MacLicious will become famous soon enough

Did you get the original install USB or CD's that had Snow Leopard and iLife '09 on them? I believe you need the correct version for the type of mac laptop or computer you are using. Otherwise you may need a retail version with a full install of Snow Leopard but then you will not have iLife '09. Hopefully the really knowledgeables will chime in on this one.

// MacBook Air mid2011 i5 4gb ram 256SSD // 2009 24"iMac 3.06 C2D nVidia 130GT 512mb // iPad Mini 64gb // iPad2 64gb 3G // iPhone4 32gb used as iPod *Current phone Samsung Galaxy Note3* // iPod Nano Gen5 // iPod Shuffle 2gb Gen4 // iPod Video 80gb // ...Ya I guess you could say I like Apple Products! //
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

Depends.

If it is firmware password protected big problems. This is what you see if implemented ~ scroll down to see the padlock on the link"-

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1352

Tell us about the SL disc? Is it a black full retail install DVD? When you mentioned an external CD, take it this really is a DVD player/burner?

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

I agree with Harry. It sure sounds like a firmware password set to me. If that's the case, take your sales receipt or other proof of purchase or gift with you to your local Apple store and ask them to wipe the firmware password.

On the newer machines, only Apple can wipe or reset the firmware password. There were several work arounds for older machines, but not for the late models.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Backlight not working - software issue? | PowerBook g4 will not boot up »