New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

My powerbook g4 doesnt see my hard drive?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

twitch99

twitch99 is on a distinguished road

I bought my power book g4 off of a friend it had a dead hard drive so i bought a new hard drive "HTS424040M9AT00" in particulate but when i go to install OS x 10.4 tiger when it says select destination to store OS x or something (i'm new to mac) nothing shows up. I've tried looking for it in disk utilities but it just shows the optical drive. I've also tried resetting the PRAM and NVRAM. Nothing I'm not sure it the hard drive is dead or not (hopefully not ) Can you help me?

- Twitch99
QUOTE Thanks
Kevriano

Kevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.

Have you formatted the drive to Mac OS Extended (Journaled)? You will need to if you are going to load any Mac OS to it. All drives come formatted as NTFS as standard (pretty much).

Try my custom Mac Forums Search Engine: Mac Forums Google Search

Please use the reputation system if you consider any help given useful (it's the little ✓/✘ on the left <---)

QUOTE Thanks
twitch99

I'm not sure can you tell me how?
QUOTE Thanks
Kevriano

Kevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.

Ok, so it's not being seen in disk utility on the install disc? Very strange. I suspect that there may be a connection issue then.
Normally an NTFS drive will show, but be greyed out, ready to be reformatted.

Please use the reputation system if you consider any help given useful (it's the little ✓/✘ on the left <---)

QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS X.10

How are you booting from the Tiger DVD, and is it a black coloured full retail install DVD and not a silver grey model specific disc? Pop the DVD in the optical drive, reboot and hold down 'C' immediately after the chime. When loaded, leave installer and go to Utilities in the Menu Bar > Disk Utility > Erase and format as Kevriano advised.

Back to the installer and run Tiger. Being a laptop, optical drives also have a high failure rate. Buying computers from friends often ends the friendship alas.

Be very careful buying computers with dead hard drives.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

You are saying you booted from the OSX DVD and ran Disk Utility from the Utilities drop down and the new drive is not showing up there?

Did you install the ribbon cable on the new drive correctly? All pins in the correct holes? This is a brand new 2.5" hard drive and IDE (ATA)??

Did the ribbon cable look damaged at all? Is the other end where the cable goes to the Logic board ok?
QUOTE Thanks
yamaha

yamaha is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Which One? Haha

Not meaning to jack the thread or anything but I just purchased a Western Digital IDE drive for my G4. Will I need to reformat the hard drive or can I just install the drive and put the OS X disk in at boot it up.

2006 15" MacBook Pro
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamaha View Post
Not meaning to jack the thread or anything but I just purchased a Western Digital IDE drive for my G4. Will I need to reformat the hard drive or can I just install the drive and put the OS X disk in at boot it up.
OSX needs a drive formatted in a native apple format as the boot drive. Just do with Disk Utility what was said above and all will be fine.
QUOTE Thanks
yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
How are you booting from the Tiger DVD, and is it a black coloured full retail install DVD and not a silver grey model specific disc? Pop the DVD in the optical drive, reboot and hold down 'C' immediately after the chime. When loaded, leave installer and go to Utilities in the Menu Bar > Disk Utility > Erase and format as Kevriano advised.

Back to the installer and run Tiger. Being a laptop, optical drives also have a high failure rate. Buying computers from friends often ends the friendship alas.

Be very careful buying computers with dead hard drives.
Do you continue holding c when you reformat the drive? Or is there a certain point when you release it.

2006 15" MacBook Pro
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

No, you hold C right after the Startup Sound till the computer starts to boot from the OSX DVD then let it go. When the Gray screen with the Apple appears let go!
QUOTE Thanks
yamaha

Thanks!

2006 15" MacBook Pro
QUOTE Thanks
twitch99

Ok guys it shows up on my windows it works i cant format it but it works my mac cant recognize it because its not formatted right? right. now since i need to initialize the disk in disk management so i can not format it right? right. so WHAT THE HECK DO I DO? this is very frustrating.
QUOTE Thanks
twitch99

OK i start it up from boot disk it goes fine it doesnt show up in disk utility but it DOES WORK then if i go to single user mode to format it it says there is no drive to format WTF AND THEN IF I TRY TO VERIFY DISK PERMISSIONS TO ERASE THE OPTICAL DRIVE NOT THE DVD IT SAYS "NO VALID PACKAGES!"
QUOTE Thanks
Kevriano

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitch99 View Post
OK i start it up from boot disk it goes fine it doesnt show up in disk utility but it DOES WORK then if i go to single user mode to format it it says there is no drive to format WTF AND THEN IF I TRY TO VERIFY DISK PERMISSIONS TO ERASE THE OPTICAL DRIVE NOT THE DVD IT SAYS "NO VALID PACKAGES!"
Then the drive is not connected properly, or there is a more serious issue with the Mac.
Why can't you format it in Windows, have you tried?

QUOTE Thanks
twitch99

I cannot format it because it can not initialize disk so it will not show up as a local disk or hard drive so i cant format it and i don't know if the connection ribbon has a problem or not i suspect that the drive needs formatted but I'm not sure.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Refurbishing an old MacBook Pro | Magsafe board problem? »