Not Many GB Left
    I own a '06 MacBook Pro 10.5.8 with a 93GB capacity. I only have 2.5 gigs left. I also have about 7,000 mp3's in itunes. Are the mp3's guilty of eating up most of my memory? What else can I move into my external hard drive to free up some memory. Please help!

Nambucca Heads Australia
    iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.11
    Everything apart from the operating system and applications. Suggest you are better off with a much larger hard drive to be honest. 93GB is absolutely nothing these days.

It is surprising you have no encountered major operating problems with such little hard drive space available.
    Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!

2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
    If you are planning on keeping your current MacBook for awhile longer then I agree with Harry. You should think about upgrading the hard drive.

Your mp3 songs are most likely what's taking up so much space on your hard drive but if you are like me and want to keep all your music on your computer to listen to easily then you'll have no other choice than to upgrade the hard drive. Putting my music on an external drive doesn't work for me since I like listening to all my music on my laptop. I don't always work at my desk so lugging around an external drive all the time is inconvenient.

You can use an app such as OmniDiskSweeper to easily see what's taking up space on your hard drive.

Crawley, England
    20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
    Check the size of your iTunes library by looking at the bottom of the iTunes window. It will say how much space it's using, but I suspect it's not taking up more than 30gb.
    7000 MP3 at an average of 4MB.
    Try my custom Mac Forums Search Engine: Mac Forums Google Search

Please use the reputation system if you consider any help given useful (it's the little ✓/✘ on the left <---)

2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevriano View Post
    7000 MP3 at an average of 4MB.
    Agreed. My music library has 4216 songs and is 21.99GB. Of course, this depends on the length of, and more importantly, the quality of the songs. Regardless, I think Kevriano is right here in his estimate.

Take a look at GrandPerspective. It will give you a visual depiction of what's using up all the space on your machine.
    Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
    M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
    Writing a Quality Post

March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
    But yes - you need a new drive - or better yet - a new computer. Like Harry said - 93G - while probably significant back when you got that MB (I can't really remember) - is nothing today. If you're deadset on not upgrading - then I'd seriously consider putting in a new internal drive. You should already have an external that you're using for backups.

Thread Information