New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

What can I upgrade to?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

gilldawg79

gilldawg79 is on a distinguished road

Just got a iBook G4 256 MB RAM (upgrading to Max (1GB)?) 1.06 GHz Processor for $100.00. What OS can I upgrade to, to utilize one Mac machine for iTunes for , iPad 2, Apple TV and 4 iPhones? I would like to utilize a 1TB NAS drive (can be hooked up via Fire wire or USB or Network).

This all being the pre-cursor to buying an iMac in a few months if this all works out.

TIA

Jimmy
West Alabama
QUOTE Thanks
rustyk123

rustyk123 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro with Retina Display: Core i7 2.3GHz, 16GB, 256GB, Mountain Lion

the latest OS that will install on this machine is Leopard(10.5). Be aware that this is a G4 machine and the CPU is going to be much slower then the current model iMac. If you would like to get something faster then the iBook, you could always look into the Mac Mini which would be just as fast as the iMac, but can be cheaper.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

If you do decide to upgrade to Leopard, you'll want to keep two things in mind:

1. You'll need to purchase the black retail disc and not the grey ones.
2. Look at the iTunes requirements for the iOS devices you have and compare that against the iTunes versions you can install in Leopard. This is important because otherwise, you may be upgrading to Leopard to gain nothing with regards to iOS syncing capabilities.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), BenQ second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB

a. You paid about $75 too much for that iBook.
b. It will run exactly NO iPhones, NO iPads, NO Apple TVs and NO current versions of iTunes. That machine is AT LEAST six years old, for heaven's sake.

My advice would be to get your money back and apply it toward the new iMac. The iBook G4 is not capable of running anything current.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
a. You paid about $75 too much for that iBook.
$100 is actually not too bad of a price for this iBook (assuming it is in decent shape). Even Mac2Sell says it's worth $70-$100 (depending on the display size). It is very light on ram (gonna cost more then expected to upgrade the ram...$36 bucks). But definitely agree...it's certainly an older laptop...with some definite limitations.

@OP: Going to probably cost about $136 to get this thing running Leopard ($36 for the ram upgrade + $100 for the Leopard install disk). Add that to the purchase price of $100 = $236. For $350...it's possible to get an older MacBook...which is MUCH more capable.

Just an FYI...before you invest more money into this computer.

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
rustyk123

rustyk123 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro with Retina Display: Core i7 2.3GHz, 16GB, 256GB, Mountain Lion

This is actually an ok deal Mac2sell is going to give you the lowest estimated price. Yes, this laptop is minimum 7 years old, but it was built a little better. At the time apple was more concerned about quality at that time then they are today(it is still a concern to them today though). Yes this can support the latest iTunes (with upgrading the OS to leopard and upgrade RAM to 512 MB), which would support every device to date, no guarantee for future devices though. Older MacBooks are not that cheap. If you look at decent condition MacBooks on ebay, they can be unto $600 for a 2007 model, which if you are going to buy one, that is oldest you should go to since the older models are already being excluded in the current OS.
QUOTE Thanks
gilldawg79

gilldawg79 is on a distinguished road

I'm almost shamed out of it, but where can I get OSX 10.5. Cheapest I have seen is 229.00. Any links?

Jimmy
West Alabama
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilldawg79 View Post
I'm almost shamed out of it, but where can I get OSX 10.5. Cheapest I have seen is 229.00. Any links?
Check e-Bay...usually around $80 to $100.

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Problems using Macbook Pro without Battery | I know it's sumer but this thing gets hot! »