Buying MBP - Need Assistance
    I need a sturdy/RELIABLE/long-lasting laptop that is going to last me at least 3+ years. It will be used for mostly programming and some light gaming(eg. Diablo 3, TF2). I also need it to run photoshop, illustrator, etc flawlessly. And it will be bootcamped.

Games don't need to run on full settings, medium with good fps is fine.
    I have narrowed it down to the 15 inch model, but can't decide to go low-end or high-end. If the high-end is going to make the laptop last me longer, then I am all for spending the extra cash for it.

Any suggestions or advice are greatly appreciated!

Specs:
    MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
    Go high end if you want to be able to play D3 or TF2. And that is for good FPS. Having the full video card is key, the Intel one is not enough for those games at all. Besides, it is not something that can ever be upgraded or added on.

Get your RAM upgraded after the fact, it is cheaper.

Make sure to get the best processor, even at the expense of a larger HD - again, it is something that cannot be upgraded after you buy the PC, where the HD can be upgraded.

Getting the higher end model will be the best idea, especially if you want to still be using it 3 years from now.
    MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6750M 1GB RAM
    MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256MB RAM
    iPhone 5S 64GB, iPad Air 2 128 GB LTE, iPod Nano Gen6 8GB, Apple TV 3 & 2

Specs:
    Which one?
    Quote Originally Posted by Deckyon View Post
    Go high end if you want to be able to play D3 or TF2. And that is for good FPS. Having the full video card is key, the Intel one is not enough for those games at all. Besides, it is not something that can ever be upgraded or added on.

Make sure to get the best processor, even at the expense of a larger HD - again, it is something that cannot be upgraded after you buy the PC, where the HD can be upgraded.

Getting the higher end model will be the best idea, especially if you want to still be using it 3 years from now.
    Ditto!

Specs:
    March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
    Moved from Community Suggestions and Feedback to the appropriate forum.

Specs:
    MacBook Pro with Retina Display: Core i7 2.3GHz, 16GB, 256GB, Mountain Lion
    I have to agree spending more in this case is not going to have it last longer, but it would be able to better do what you want it to do.

what about an Alienware M14x or something like that?

Quote Originally Posted by Deckyon View Post

Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Andres87 View Post
    what about an Alienware M14x or something like that?
    I really cannot fathom owning a laptop that looks like a failed military stealth bomber lol.

Quote Originally Posted by smurfyefex View Post
    Thank you!

I really cannot fathom owning a laptop that looks like a failed military stealth bomber lol.
    lol I understand.

Specs:
    MacBook Pro with Retina Display: Core i7 2.3GHz, 16GB, 256GB, Mountain Lion
    There are 2 laptops that you couldn't even pay me to own. Sony and Alienware I have never seen work right for long.

Alienware's are fast systems but they usually overheat due to the fact the try to cram desktop components inside or make a mini version of desktop components.

Sony's look nice but they usually will not evan last their warranties without problems. I have worked on one that was purchased for $3800 SSD failed in 3 months, due to warranty it had to go to a authorized shop, took sony 3 months to ship the part and would not even include the reinstall disks.

Apple is doing a great job at the moment, their prices may be high, but they last longer, so you are buying less computers over time and paying less for repairs over time.

Quote Originally Posted by rustyk123 View Post
    There are 2 laptops that you couldn't even pay me to own. Sony and Alienware I have never seen work right for long.

Alienware's are fast systems but they usually overheat due to the fact the try to cram desktop components inside or make a mini version of desktop components.

Sony's look nice but they usually will not evan last their warranties without problems. I have worked on one that was purchased for $3800 SSD failed in 3 months, due to warranty it had to go to a authorized shop, took sony 3 months to ship the part and would not even include the reinstall disks.

Apple is doing a great job at the moment, their prices may be high, but they last longer, so you are buying less computers over time and paying less for repairs over time.
    I agree. That's one of the main reasons I am drawn to trying out a Mac. Apple seems to have pretty reliable machines(perhaps only because of their lack of customization?).

Thread Information