New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Trying to connect to TV

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jcmansor

jcmansor is on a distinguished road

I have been trying to get my macbook pro connected to my tv (Emerson LCD model LC401EM2F). I am using a mini display port to hmdi adapter by Rocketfish and a monster hdmi cable. I have tried all the hdmi ports on my tv. The mbp does recognize the tv, but the tv remains black. The only resolution that does work is 640x480 and 480p.

Any suggestions how to get a higher resolution or why it is only allowing 480? My playstation runs in 1080 with the same hdmi cable.
QUOTE Thanks
microsnook

microsnook is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2011 13" 10.8 (latest)

Make sure the TV input is set to HDMI?
QUOTE Thanks
rustyk123

rustyk123 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro with Retina Display: Core i7 2.3GHz, 16GB, 256GB, Mountain Lion

Can you post more information about your laptop so I know what you have.

I need to know which macbook Pro (such as late 2008, early 2011), the video card (both if there are 2), and the OS.

If you do not know this information, the video card information is in system Profiler. The OS is in About My Mac. And the version can be found by getting your serial number (either from about my mac/more information, or off the bottom[depending on model]) and going to apple.com, click support, click technical specs and search your serial number. Yours will be the only one in the list.

Once I know this, I will be able to confirm the HDMI adapter is able to work with yours.
QUOTE Thanks
jcmansor

jcmansor is on a distinguished road

I am using a late 2010 Macbook Pro (just before they updated with thunderbolt)

My graphics card is the Nvidia Geforce 320M

and I am running 10.6.8

Thank you and any help is very appreciated. My knowledge is very limited in this!
QUOTE Thanks
rustyk123

rustyk123 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro with Retina Display: Core i7 2.3GHz, 16GB, 256GB, Mountain Lion

Everything should work fine.

Looking at your user guide(page 13), It my not go full screen, not really sure. It does say PC input is HDMI 1 though, so you want to make sure you are using that input. You also want to set it on unscaled video this will put the tv into 16:9 mode which may enable the missing resolutions, you may have to restart after this.

If you still have problems you can either call up the tv manufacture If you are able to call the tv manufacture, see what they say, they would be the ones to know either a quick setting change on the tv to fix the issue, or a free solution.

Or you can try to use SwitchResX Which Can be downloaded from here. Be aware this program is a trial and will popup messages to ask to register. I would use this as a last resort.

Please post back with your results.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« macbook blown resistor/capacitor | Programs booting up on screen at startup »