New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook battery

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jnnfrths

jnnfrths is on a distinguished road

Hi, I have a 13in aluminum MacBook, I've had it since 2008. Without being plugged into the charger, it will last maybe 5 minutes before dying. Will buying this Rechargeable Battery - 13-inch MacBook (aluminum) - Apple Store (U.S.) get rid of that issue? If I get a new battery, how do I dispose of my old one? Or should I keep the old one just in case I need it one day?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

If you purchase your new battery from a local Apple store you can bring them your old one and they will dispose of it for you. And yes, that should solve the problem.
QUOTE Thanks
jnnfrths

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
If you purchase your new battery from a local Apple store you can bring them your old one and they will dispose of it for you. And yes, that should solve the problem.
ok, thank you
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

I would actually recommend purchasing an aftermarket unit like this one:

FastMac | Product - Laptop Battery Upgrades

It's a few bucks cheaper and a bit higher capacity.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
jnnfrths

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
I would actually recommend purchasing an aftermarket unit like this one:

FastMac | Product - Laptop Battery Upgrades

It's a few bucks cheaper and a bit higher capacity.
I don't see one for my computer, only the macbook pro version. Thanks though
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnnfrths View Post
I don't see one for my computer, only the macbook pro version. Thanks though
You might want to give them a call. They do list your machine at the bottom of the page, but when you click on it, it redirects you to an unrelated page. That might be a bug in their site design.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
jnnfrths

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
You might want to give them a call. They do list your machine at the bottom of the page, but when you click on it, it redirects you to an unrelated page. That might be a bug in their site design.
alright, sounds good. thanks for the rec
QUOTE Thanks
rustyk123

rustyk123 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro with Retina Display: Core i7 2.3GHz, 16GB, 256GB, Mountain Lion

I would also recommend holding on to your battery for a little longer. I had a White MacBook battery fail on me so I ran out bought one and a month later they recalled the battery. Since I no longer had the battery, they were not able to reimburse me the cost of the battery or give me a new one.

Battery recalls can happen at any point Just look at the 1gen iPod Nano that they just started recalling 6 or 7 years after it was sold. And when you decide to get rid of it on day, you may be able to just take it to any computer repair shop, most of them would be happy to take it from you.

I also recommend sticking with genuine batteries and not generic batteries. I have had some bad luck with the generic batteries, but that risk is up to you, I have heard some people have some good luck with them. You can also buy replacement batteries (new and used) (genuine and generic) off of ebay for much less. At least look before you buy elsewhere, some have 3 year warranties too.
QUOTE Thanks
jnnfrths

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyk123 View Post
I would also recommend holding on to your battery for a little longer. I had a White MacBook battery fail on me so I ran out bought one and a month later they recalled the battery. Since I no longer had the battery, they were not able to reimburse me the cost of the battery or give me a new one.

Battery recalls can happen at any point Just look at the 1gen iPod Nano that they just started recalling 6 or 7 years after it was sold. And when you decide to get rid of it on day, you may be able to just take it to any computer repair shop, most of them would be happy to take it from you.

I also recommend sticking with genuine batteries and not generic batteries. I have had some bad luck with the generic batteries, but that risk is up to you, I have heard some people have some good luck with them. You can also buy replacement batteries (new and used) (genuine and generic) off of ebay for much less. At least look before you buy elsewhere, some have 3 year warranties too.
I never thought about the help!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« MBP 13" better fan | How much is my MBP worth? »