New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Questions about MacBook Air :)

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

olliiee

olliiee is on a distinguished road

So I'm a UNI student looking for something to take to and from, light and portable, and nothing compares to an Air at the moment in the same price range. Especially second hand!

So I'm looking at purchasing an 11.6" 2011 model with the 64GB SSD and i5 or a 13.3" 2010 with 128GB SSD both for about the same $$.

I wanted to ask the Apple store a few questions but they are closed so I turn to you

1. If I want to install something by DVD how might I go about that?
2. If I buy second hand whats the deal with Applecare? Does it roll over?
3. If I find the SSD ageing or not enough is it possible to upgrade it? Or does the cost of getting them to do that exceed the cost of the machine?
4. If the battery life is diminished, is it possible for them to replace it?

Sorry for all the questions, this is my first post

I'm usually a PC guy but my Dad loves his MacBook pros and all his other apple gear and I think I'll give an apple laptop a shot, everything else I have of theirs is nice

Thanks in advance for any help
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

You would need an external USB Superdrive for your MBA to install software by DVD.

SSD can be upgraded but it cost as much as the MBA itself so not worth it. >_>"

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks
olliiee

olliiee is on a distinguished road

Okay awsome thanks

I found out its $180 AUD to get the battery replaced out of warranty so that one is answered

Would the 11.6" be too small for typing on?
QUOTE Thanks
Mini_mi

Mini_mi is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2011 MacBook Air, i5 27" IMac, 2010 21.5" IMac, 2010 Mini, 2011 13" MBP, IPhone 4, Airport Extreme

If they are both the same price, get the 13inch. If your just doing school work, the faster processor won't make that much difference. The problem I see with the 11 in model you are looking at, is that you will pretty much have to use it with an external drive for storing anything since the 64GB of drive space will be taken up by the OS and applications you put on it. I have the 13 in (2011 model, 128GB), and it is half full. Just a consideration
QUOTE Thanks
rez

rez is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Late 2009 Macbook 2.26GHZ 4GB RAM 250GB HDD 64GB SSD

Just to add, the USB superdrive isn't essential as you could use the Disc Sharing feature. You do need another Mac in order to do this (see more information here: How to Enable Disc Sharing in Lion - Lion, Mac, Tips, can also be done in snow leopard) but it could save you the cost of buying a USB superdrive to install 1 or 2 dvd's.

However if you dont have another macbook handy / will be needing the Superdrive a lot, then the best bet is to buy one as the previous poster suggested

rez
QUOTE Thanks
pszilard

pszilard is on a distinguished road

You can use any USB DVD drive. I have used a Samsung, for example.

OWC (macsales.com) have SSD upgrades for the Macbook Air.

The 11" is also available with 256GB SSD and 4GB RAM, but is more portable than the 13", but has less pixels, so you won't see as many lines of text.

Edited by author: Removed incorrect statement about adding RAM.
QUOTE Thanks
ycl1688

ycl1688 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: mbp 15 2009, mbp 13 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by pszilard View Post
You can use any USB DVD drive. I have used a Samsung, for example.

OWC (macsales.com) have SSD upgrades as well as RAM upgrades for the Macbook Air.

The 11" is also available with 256GB SSD and 4GB RAM, but is more portable than the 13", but has less pixels, so you won't see as many lines of text.
Please note the air RAM cannot be upgraded.
QUOTE Thanks
pszilard

pszilard is on a distinguished road

Thanks for correcting my mistake. I've edited my original post to avoid anyone being misled.

Have a great day.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« HD Fitment | Macbook 13" Aluminum battery ? »