New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

PLZ HELP spilled lemon tea on my macbook pro

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

kazandnuni

kazandnuni is on a distinguished road

so i spilled lemon tea on my macbook pro it is still under warranty or so it was i dried of any residue and left it in a bag of rice for two days my hard drive doesnt work but i was able to recover my data but my computer wont turn on or make a sound or charge not even the battery status. I really can't afford a new laptop and was wondering what can i do to save this one and how much will it cost..
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Did you read this:

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/app...ow-thread.html

...it pretty much covers it.

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
kazandnuni

Thanks but I did that I turned it upside down opened the cover and stuffed it in a bag of rice for 1 1/2 days and idk what's wrong it wasn't a lot that spilled inside so I dont understand what's wrong I thought it suppose to still light up with logic board issues
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazandnuni View Post
Thanks but I did that I turned it upside down opened the cover and stuffed it in a bag of rice for 1 1/2 days and idk what's wrong it wasn't a lot that spilled inside so I dont understand what's wrong I thought it suppose to still light up with logic board issues
I think you may be missing the point. Liquid spills are a crap shoot. Sometimes you can recover using those techniques, many times you can't. There is no fool proof method to recover a system (any system) from a spill. There are general guidelines that can help, but once that liquid comes in contact with the machine, it's anyone's guess what components it hit and how bad the damage is.

I will say that a day and a half of drying is not nearly long enough. 72 hours at a MINIMUM.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
cptkrf

cptkrf is a jewel in the roughcptkrf is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook Air 2013, MacMini,2013, Intel Core i7, 16gb, 27" Thunderbolt display (Highly recommended!)

One add-on that every MacBook (or PC laptop, for that matter) needs to have is about a two foot stick beside the keyboard. Anybody who comes near with a drink, gets wacked on the hand that isn't holding the cup.

That is only a partial exaggeration. In my frequent use of Internet coffee shops, I use my own spill proof cup with a crew on lid.

In an earlier career of fixing all kinds of IT equipment, from keypunches to PCs, this is my experience...

Water, black coffee and non-sweet tea are the best, to use the word 'best in a backward meaning. They aren't conductive to any extent, so assuming that they don't literally soak some critical open component, no damage will probably be done. Just set the machine in front a a fan for a day or so and it will probably still work. As cwa107 said, it is a crap shoot.

Sweet coffee and tea have have the same effect and probably won't blow electronics. But, and it is a large butt, the sugar can absolutely ruin a keyboard. By ruin, I don't mean destroy, but it will stay tacky from humidity to the end of time and you will have keys that are constantly sticking. And since sugar is not dissolvable by any usually available non water based solvent, you can't get it out. A very few times, I have had success in immersing(!!) the whole keyboard in clean water and rinsing, followed by a two day drying period. This option is obviously not available for your laptop.

Soft drinks are the worst. Not only do you have the sugar problem squared, but the phosphoric acid and other highly dangerous junk in the drinks not only short out pins and lands on the boards, but continue to corrode them over time. (In the interest of full disclosure, I am addicted to soft drinks like every one else. Just not near my immaculate Air.)

I can't remember ever successfully recovering a coke soaked keyboard.
QUOTE Thanks
kazandnuni

How can I tell if my top case is the issue since it fell on my keyboard I shell out some cash for a replacement top case but I don't want to waste my time if the logic board is fried is there a way I can tell by looking at the logic board
QUOTE Thanks
kazandnuni

I really appreciate everyone's help it's been a really crazy week with finals and no computer
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazandnuni View Post
How can I tell if my top case is the issue since it fell on my keyboard I shell out some cash for a replacement top case but I don't want to waste my time if the logic board is fried is there a way I can tell by looking at the logic board
I think it's pretty safe to say that if the machine doesn't power on under any circumstance, the logic board is hosed.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« MacBook Air and MagicJack problem | Microsoft formats and OSX? »