New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Blue streaks when screen is dark?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

RachelBa

RachelBa is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2011 13' MacBook Pro, iPod Touch 4th gen, White iPhone 4S 16gb,

I got my Macbook Pro in March 2011, making it an Early 2011 model.

About a month or two ago, I powered on my Mac and began doing normal things, such as watching videos and searching the web when I noticed strange blue lines in my screen. I was looking for a way to see them better, and I noticed that when the color my mac is displaying is lighter (such as an internet website with a white background), the blue lines are very faint. But when the background is dark, it is impossible to not see the blue lines.

When I take a screenshot, the lines do not show up in the picture.

I've been searching other forums and google for any similar problems, but I can't find anything.
Any help or advice would be great!
Thanks in advance
-Rachel

P.S. The picture below shows the blue lines i'm talking about!

mms_picture.jpg
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

That's appears to be an LCD defect since it does not show up in a screen shot. Since your machine is still under warranty, make an appointment with your local Apple store genius bar and have it checked out. My guess it that they will replace the LCD if it is a defect.
QUOTE Thanks
RachelBa

There isn't any Apple stores where I live, so I called Apple and they told me to take it to "Connecting Point". I took in there and after about a week they told me that Apple would not cover the repair because the lines are "pressure damage".

To fix the problem, it would cost $500 for a screen replacement.
OR they would give me $400 for my computer to put towards a new one, and they would cover the data transfer that would normally cost $50. (basically I would still have to pay $800 for a new macbook).

This honestly doesn't make any sense considering that I baby my computer and have had a case on it since I got it.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute

Did you leave anything in the computer and then close the cover? Folks have been known to leave things like a pencil or pen or other object and close the cover forgetting that they left something. Or carrying the machine in a back pack with a load of heavy books?

I'm not saying you did any of that but those are the usual things which cause pressure marks to occur on the LCD. If you're positive that you didn't cause the pressure damage, call Apple again and speak to a supervisor and explain the situation to him/her.

If in the end, Apple still refuses to repair it under warranty, post back here and we can give you some other places to send your MBP to for repair which should be less expensive than what they quoted you.
QUOTE Thanks
RachelBa

Yes, I keep it in my book bag for school, so that could be where it came from. Even then, I don't keep anything in my bag except for a binder that is like a pound in weight. But my father is going to look into it.
I won't be getting my hopes up for Apple covering the damage, so it would be fantastic if you could give me some other ways to get this fixed.
Thanks for everything!
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

You didn't say where you live, however, if you live in the US, I recommend the folks at IResQ. Here is the LINK to their website. They also have a toll free 800 number you can call and speak to one of their technicians and get an estimate of cost.

The best situation would be for your father to call and speak to someone at Apple who is higher up in the repair chain. There is always a chance that when speaking to a supervisor and explaining to them that nothing you did caused the pressure marks, that they may relent and do the repair under the warranty. Good luck with it and let us know how it turns out.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« How long does the cooling fan inside a MBP last? | Is everything indeed lost?!. »