New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

What are my options?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

19birel

19birel is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.4Ghz i5 13" MBP antiglare 16gb RAM 500gb HD OSX 10.9.x

I'm looking into buying or trading for a C2D MacBook Pro because my current system won't run aperture without lag and beach balls. I heard that all the C2D MacBook Pro can handle is no more than 4gb RAM , which makes the only difference in performance between the different models the processor speed. What is the lowest speed I should go for to run aperture 3 without issues, is 2.2Ghz too low? Is the C2D processor going to have the same problems running aperture as my 2Ghz Core Duo?And do the faster C2D handle more RAM? Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19birel View Post
I'm looking into buying or trading for a C2D MacBook Pro because my current system won't run aperture without lag and beach balls. I heard that all the C2D MacBook Pro can handle is no more than 4gb RAM , which makes the only difference in performance between the different models the processor speed. What is the lowest speed I should go for to run aperture 3 without issues, is 2.2Ghz too low? Is the C2D processor going to have the same problems running aperture as my 2Ghz Core Duo?And do the faster C2D handle more RAM? Thanks.
On my old C2D 2007 MacBook w/4Gb of RAM Aperture runs acceptably, some beach balling, but not too obnoxious.

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
19birel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razormac View Post
On my old C2D 2007 MacBook w/4Gb of RAM Aperture runs acceptably, some beach balling, but not too obnoxious.
I have been told that my RAM is the issue but I still have a little over a GB of free RAM when running Aperture (with no other apps running) However both processor cores are nearly at maximum capacity when ever doing things like brush in color etc. What is your Processor speed @?
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

Quote:
I have been told that my RAM is the issue but I still have a little over a GB of free RAM when running Aperture (with no other apps running) However both processor cores are nearly at maximum capacity when ever doing things like brush in color etc. What is your Processor speed @?
2.2 GHz

I also use Adobe PSE as my external editor in Aperture.

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
19birel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razormac View Post
2.2 GHz

I also use Adobe PSE as my external editor in Aperture.
That is the model I am looking into i think. And you said the lag is minimal? Sounds like it would be a decent upgrade if I switch to one of these. THanks for the help.
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

Quote:
That is the model I am looking into i think. And you said the lag is minimal? Sounds like it would be a decent upgrade if I switch to one of these. THanks for the help.
If I am doing a major import (as in moving an old iPhoto library into Aperture) it can get S-L-O-W. But, normally it isn't too bothersome.
I would like more speed, but this does the job fairly well.

QUOTE Thanks
mollusk

mollusk is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2007 Macbook Pro 3,1

I believe for those macbook pros apple says that 4 gb of ram is the max, but the site Other World Computing says 6gb will work.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Macbook 13" Aluminum battery ? | macbook pro and 5.1 surround sound! »