New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

PB HD install issues

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

MAC1av3lli

MAC1av3lli is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: macbook pro 15", iphone 2, 4, powerbook G4 12", powermac G4 (agp graphics)

ok...after all my drama from previous posts...I finally was able to get a new HD for my comp and installed it with no problems but for some reason when I startup with the software install and restore disk I go through install but when I get to the hard disk part my HD doesn't show up (I hope I got a compatible HD, which I think is). When I go into disk utility it shows up but the icon during install is no where to be found and I cannot continue from there. help! any help will be greatly appreciated!

thanks, neye:
QUOTE Thanks
CJ064

CJ064 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro

i had that problem when i installed a hardrive in a g3 powerbook. Go to the disk utility and look for initilize drive, that is what i did and it worked but that was also with an os 8.6 disk, but i hope this points you in the right direction.
QUOTE Thanks
MAC1av3lli

Mac Specs: macbook pro 15", iphone 2, 4, powerbook G4 12", powermac G4 (agp graphics)

thanks I'll go check that out. I don't think I remember seeing "initialize drive" but I could use anything at this point.
QUOTE Thanks
MAC1av3lli

ok I am there and first of all I don't know much about hardware/install etc. so this is probably a dumb question but I see a partition button and within the box it says you can initialize this disk but there isn't a specific button to do so. would that be partitioning it? I basically renamed the volume (it was untitled at first) so next would be to partition it. when I press partition there is a warning telling me that new volumes will erase all existing volumes and cannot be undone! But this is the only volume right? This is why I couldn't be a newtwork administrator! any help will help thanks
QUOTE Thanks
meatychi

You've got it partitions are ways of dividing your hard disk up into pieces - almost like slice of cakes. A new disk usually needs partitioning before use. Some people create partitions to separate their applications from there data. It can improve read speeds and stuff like that.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Problems with new Ibook lcd | PowerBook Hard Drive: 5400 or 7200 ? »