Thread: Hard Drive?

Specs:
    Which One? Haha
    Hard Drive?
    Is this a good hard drive to put in my Powerbook G4 17"?

PowerBook G4, Hard Drive, 80 GB, 2.5, 5400, 661-3243

I know its only 80 gigs its the same as the original and i just use the computer for normal everyday use nothing special.
    And I also wanted the cheapest and this as it.
    2006 15" MacBook Pro

Specs:
    iMac 2010 27" QuadI7 OSX10.11, iMac 2008 OSX10.11, MBP Late2011OSX10.11 , iPad Air, iPhone 3GS
    Are you going to go with only an 80GB? You can get a larger drive if you wanted. I know the iBooks and PB's used a 2.5" IDE (ATA) drive. They are getting a lot harder to find now a days. Will look and see what I can find and get back.

OUCH, I forgot that recently the prices of new drives has skyrocketed!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...=1&srchInDesc=

Specs:
    Which One? Haha
    Its cheap and like I said I dont do anything special on my computer. Just normal everyday home use.
    2006 15" MacBook Pro

Specs:
    Which One? Haha
    Or this one. Does being refurbished mean it will not last as long as a new one. It seems great for the $20 less. Is there pros with going with the one posted earlier because it is the original one?

80GB HARD DRIVE FOR Apple Powerbook G3 G4 iBook Pismo | eBay
    2006 15" MacBook Pro

Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    Quote Originally Posted by yamaha View Post
    Or this one. Does being refurbished mean it will not last as long as a new one.
    My personal opinion is...hard drives are cheap & as long as you have your information properly backed up...you have no worries.

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Specs:
    Or this one. Does being refurbished mean it will not last as long as a new one.
    By the way...I have absolutely no idea what a "refurbishing" process would be for a hard drive...other than plugging it in to see if it works. Hard drives are sealed mechanical devices full of high precision parts...which I hardly believe the average person on e-Bay could "refurbish".

To me a "refurbished" hard drive is just a fancy term for "used hard drive". And if you're going to buy a "used hard drive"...might as well pay used hard drive prices...which would be less than the $49.95 the person is charging on e-Bay. For a used 80gig IDE hard drive on Craig's List...I would expect to pay around $20-$25 bucks.

Hard drives like automobiles are "mechanical devices". Like the mileage on a car...hours on a hard drive can indicate it's age. The more hours on it...the older it is. Of course we have had reports of folks getting brand new hard drives that have failed shortly after purchase & installation.

So the key is (new or used HD)...keep your data backed up.

- Nick
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup

Specs:
    Which One? Haha
    Quote Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
    By the way...I have absolutely no idea what a "refurbishing" process would be for a hard drive...other than plugging it in to see if it works. Hard drives are sealed mechanical devices full of high precision parts...which I hardly believe the average person on e-Bay could "refurbish".

To me a "refurbished" hard drive is just a fancy term for "used hard drive". And if you're going to buy a "used hard drive"...might as well pay used hard drive prices...which would be less than the $49.95 the person is charging on e-Bay. For a used 80gig IDE hard drive on Craig's List...I would expect to pay around $20-$25 bucks.

Hard drives like automobiles are "mechanical devices". Like the mileage on a car...hours on a hard drive can indicate it's age. The more hours on it...the older it is. Of course we have had reports of folks getting brand new hard drives that have failed shortly after purchase & installation.

So the key is (new or used HD)...keep your data backed up.

- Nick
    It says it was refurbished by the manufacture and he has a guarantee on a 5 year warranty for whatever reason it breaks. Here is what it said: Manufacturer refurbished: An item that has been professionally restored to working order by a manufacturer or manufacturer-approved vendor. This means the product has been inspected, cleaned, and repaired to meet manufacturer specifications and is in excellent condition. This item may or may not be in the original packaging. See the seller’s listing for full details.
    I also did message the seller just to clear everything up.
    2006 15" MacBook Pro

Specs:
    It says it was refurbished by the manufacture and he has a guarantee on a 5 year warranty for whatever reason it breaks.
    I also did message the seller just to clear everything up.
    Maybe if there's a manufacturer involved...maybe the refurbishing process is a bit more involved.

Just buy a hard drive already!

- Nick

Specs:
    Which One? Haha
    Quote Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
    Maybe if there's a manufacturer involved...maybe the refurbishing process is a bit more involved.

Just buy a hard drive already!

- Nick
    Your right i am making this to much of a big deal.
    2006 15" MacBook Pro

Specs:
    Late 2013 27" iMac, iPad 3, iPhone 6s+, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, El Capitan
    BTW, when a manufacturer refurbishes a hard drive, it's mostly an electronic component refurbishing. In other words, replacing a bad controller board. They normally do not refurbish the platters and heads. Too time consuming and expensive.

Specs:
    Which One? Haha
    Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    BTW, when a manufacturer refurbishes a hard drive, it's mostly an electronic component refurbishing. In other words, replacing a bad controller board. They normally do not refurbish the platters and heads. Too time consuming and expensive.
    O well. I already ordered it.
    2006 15" MacBook Pro

Specs:
    Which One? Haha
    And it has a 5 year warranty.
    2006 15" MacBook Pro

Specs:
    13.3" MacBook. 2GHz Core 2 Duo. 3GB DDR2 RAM. 320GB HDD. OSX (10.6.8)
    In my job sometimes I order refurbished Hard Drives for the Mac's I service and support, and I have not had one failure from refurbed drives. Backing up your data is smart so if something were to happen, you don't lose any of it. Just for information reference, the G4 PowerBook's, if I remember, could accept up to a 250GB HDD.
    Dakota Hunter "Innovation leads to innovation."

Thread Information