New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

I need help and i'm losing hair deciding

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

alucard76

alucard76 is on a distinguished road

Pro or Air?
I know the pros and cons of both, at least for me
Pro has more ports and guts, more storage space and a cd drive, but weighs a ton
Air is awesomely thin and light but no cd drive and only up to 256gb of storage

I can't friggin' decide. I need some help. Please weigh in
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by alucard76 View Post
Pro or Air?
I know the pros and cons of both, at least for me
Pro has more ports and guts, more storage space and a cd drive, but weighs a ton
Air is awesomely thin and light but no cd drive and only up to 256gb of storage

I can't friggin' decide. I need some help. Please weigh in
Sounds like you got all the answers...so make your own decision...why would you want others to decide for you??

By the way...the MacBook Pro's don't "weigh a ton". If you think that they do...it's time to hit the gym...and start lifting some weights!

Good luck with your decision,

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
alucard76

While I thank you for your somewhat snarky yet useful response, I want others to chime in so I will make my own decision after I garner more insight. I've never owned a mac before. I do have to go to the gym, but that's irrelevant to the fact that there is an undeniable 1.5 lbs difference in the 2 and a dramatic difference in thickness.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I've never owned a mac before.
Probably should have mentioned this in your initial post!

Quote:
I do have to go to the gym, but that's irrelevant to the fact that there is an undeniable 1.5 lbs difference in the 2 and a dramatic difference in thickness.
You didn't mention which MacBook Pro you were considering (13" or 15")...and this would certainly have a bearing on the weight of the computer!

Also...there was a time when the "standard" 14"-15" laptop computer weighed 6-7lbs. Now a 15" MacBook Pro weighs 5.6lbs....and a 13" MacBook Pro weighs 4.5 lbs. So either human beings in the last 10 years have gotten weaker...or "wimpier"!

One VERY important parameter you didn't mention is ram. Once you buy a MacBook Air...the ram is NOT upgradeable (you're stuck with what you got)...and the max. ram for the MacBook Air models is 4gig. The max. ram on the 2011 MacBook Pro models is 16gig.

Good luck,

- Nick

p.s. By the way...I can't help with the hair loss!

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
RustProofCorn

RustProofCorn has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
p.s. By the way...I can't help with the hair loss!
Thats funny.

60% of the time it works every time.
QUOTE Thanks
alucard76

No worries, I have a full head of hair

It seems like here in Canada, I can't upgrade to 16gigs, only 8
I think I've decided about 90% on a 13" Macbook Pro. Now I just have to figure out i5 or i7, 4gigs or 8, and how much storage

Oy!!
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustProofCorn View Post
Thats funny.
If I had a solution for hair loss...I would use it on myself!!!

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
No worries, I have a full head of hair...
For now!!!

Quote:
It seems like here in Canada, I can't upgrade to 16gigs, only 8...
Apple's "Official" max ram for the MacBook Pros is 8gig...but folks have found that 16 gig can be successfully installed (this happens occasionally).

Quote:
I think I've decided about 90% on a 13" Macbook Pro. Now I just have to figure out i5 or i7, 4gigs or 8, and how much storage.
Easy answer for the hard drive size & amount of ram for a MacBook Pro...just buy one of the stock configurations for now...and upgrade later as you need it (Apple charges too much for ram).

You have to decide on the cpu (i5 or i7)...which is mostly a $$$ decision.

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
alucard76

Thanks for the help

So I can always add both RAM and drive size afterwards? I had no idea

Is i7 that much better than i5?
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
So I can always add both RAM and drive size afterwards?
Absolutely!

Quote:
Is i7 that much better than i5?
Find the models you're interested in...then compare the scores:

Mac Benchmarks

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
alucard76

You're a beauty Nick

Last question. Let's say I buy a standard 4gigs Ram and 500gb storage. In a year or 2 I want to add more of both. Do I buy them both let's say at a Tiger direct or Best buy and bring it to Apple, or would any computer store do the install. Sorry, Mac's are all new to me
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
You're a beauty Nick
Sometimes "snarky" too!

Quote:
Last question. Let's say I buy a standard 4gigs Ram and 500gb storage. In a year or 2 I want to add more of both. Do I buy them both let's say at a Tiger direct or Best buy and bring it to Apple, or would any computer store do the install.
Well...this all depends on your abilities. We usually recommend a website called iFixit.com. This site has really good DIY instructions for most upgrades & repairs...then there's YouTube videos as well.

If you have "zero" confidence in your abilities to upgrade your own computer...then that may put a "wrinkle" in what you purchase now. You could go to iFixit.com...and review the ram & hard drive upgrade/replacement procedures...and see if you're up to the task.

- Nick

p.s. FYI...OWC:

www.macsales.com

...is a great place to purchase upgrade items as well. But that still leaves you with the install issue.

QUOTE Thanks
alucard76

Even if I'm not confident in my ability to do it myself, I can bring purchased ram and hard drive to a computer store or apple and they will do it for me, for a fee. Is that right? The diy would be to safe the costs?
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Even if I'm not confident in my ability to do it myself, I can bring purchased ram and hard drive to a computer store or apple and they will do it for me, for a fee. Is that right?
Sure...most "brick & mortar" stores that sell ram & HD's have installation services...they just cost too much for my liking!

Quote:
The diy would be to safe the costs?
Absolutely!

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
alucard76

Do apple stores do these installs too?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Removing unwanted network addresses | Which RAM MBP 2011... :( »