New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Lag & Beachballs

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

19birel

19birel is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.4Ghz i5 13" MBP antiglare 16gb RAM 500gb HD OSX 10.9.x

Hello everyone. I recently got Aperture 3 on my 2006 MacBook and have noticed that when running it both processor cores hover around or @ 100% usage (CoreDuo 2Ghz). I am also getting some lag and the occasional beachball as well. The fan also turns on after extensive use and the processor thermometers are reaching what looks like high temps. I have 2gb of RAM and I hear that is the max the logic board will recognize. I have an upgraded HDD but I think it is still the Standard 5200 RPM. My questions are, will this strain on the processor cores start to mess up my computer?, Is there a way to overclock the processor or something to add more RAM?, if I upgrade the HDD to one of higher RPM will that help, if so how much? and what is a the highest temperature I can/ or should run the proccesor @? I have a widget that will give me the temperature... Thanks loads for your help, especially since it seems I won't be upgrading for a while due to my Dell's not selling.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

What you probably need is more ram...unfortunately...2gig is the max. for your laptop.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
19birel

19birel is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.4Ghz i5 13" MBP antiglare 16gb RAM 500gb HD OSX 10.9.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
What you probably need is more ram...unfortunately...2gig is the max. for your laptop.

- Nick
That's what I figured As far as the processor strain and running temps go, am I going to muck up my computer? Is there a certain temp I should make sure the CPU doesn't exceed?
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19birel View Post
That's what I figured As far as the processor strain and running temps go, am I going to muck up my computer? Is there a certain temp I should make sure the CPU doesn't exceed?
Apple has that covered. If it gets too hot...it will automatically shut down.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Right Click | Firmware Password Question »