New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro Battery can't stay off the charge for three days without crapping out?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

samuelhorton

samuelhorton is on a distinguished road

I got my MacBook Pro back in August or September, and have been more than happy with it, but about two months after I got the computer, the piece that locks the adapter into the charging port snapped off. I just popped it back in for a while, it worked fine, until recently, it stopped staying in and the LED light that showed it was charging was extremely faint, and when plugged in (which I had to tape the **** thing to the computer to get it to stay) it would say Not Charging. The battery was on 60% then, and I figured that maybe it would at least keep it at a steady 60% and not drain the battery. No such luck. The computer died completely, and then the charger completely stopped working. I called Apple and ordered a replacement, which was an ordeal on it's own. So finally, three days later, I get the replacement. It doesn't work. I know it can't be the adapter, it's brand new. So I called Apple yet again (probably the fifth time during this entire experience), and they told me the battery has died completely and needs replacing. The advisor walked me through the Shift+Control+Option+Power SMC reset with no luck, and told me that I had to take it to an Apple store to have them take another four days to fix it, then go pick it up again. Or, my second option was to get a box shipped to me, ship the computer back, have them take a week or more to look at it and fix it, then ship it back. Sounds like a pretty easy decision to make, just taking it to the Apple store is the less time consuming route to take, but the nearest Apple store is an hour and a half away.

So after all that *****ing, my question is, is there anything I can do to resolve the issue on my own? I don't have a car or reliable ride to take me up there and back a few days later, but I cannot wait three weeks or more to use my MacBook. I'm using my old Toshiba PC laptop, which has one foot in the grave, and it's the end of the semester. It's nearly impossible to do all my school work on this PC.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by samuelhorton View Post
I got my MacBook Pro back in August or September, and have been more than happy with it, but about two months after I got the computer, the piece that locks the adapter into the charging port snapped off.

...is there anything I can do to resolve the issue on my own?
Firstly...if you truly have a MacBook Pro...there's nothing that can "snap-off" when the adapter is connected to the charging port (unless you mean the adapter cord broke where it connects to the plug). MacBook Pro's have a "magnetic" connection at the charging port...so there's really nothing to snap off.

Maybe you can post a photo or two of the problem...so it's a bit more clear exactly what happened.

Thanks,

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Should I wait to get the Pro? | How to disconnect gamepad controller? »