New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Dead Battery or Bad Motherboard?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

therealmaceman

therealmaceman is on a distinguished road

Computer is a Black Macbook 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo running Mac OSX 10.5.8

The Green Magsafe Light is ON. The Battery symbol is the empty battery with an X in the middle of it. I do not have a spare battery or a friend with the same machine.

Battery Information:

Model Information:

Serial Number: DP-ASMB016-38c2-74b

Device name: ASMB016

Pack Lot Code: 0002

PCB Lot Code: 0000

Firmware Version: 0110

Hardware Revision: 0500

Cell Revision: 0102

Charge Information:

Charge remaining (mAh): 0

Fully charged: No

Charging: No

Full charge capacity (mAh): 0

Health Information:

Cycle count: 0

Battery Installed: No

Amperage (mA): 0

Voltage (mV): 0

Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Sounds like the battery is hosed to me. Time for a new one.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

Will the MacBook boot up and run?

If so, are there any other symptoms than the battery showing up as not installed?

I don't do a lot of messing around with older Macs like some of the guys here, so not so much into diagnostic and repair as I used to be. May want to try a PRAM and SMC reset to see if that helps. I read some articles quite a while ago that I seem to remember giving that as a potential fix (providing the battery and motherboard actually are good).

I may do some snooping around to see if I can find the info because I may not be remembering it correctly. Early in the morning here and coffee hasn't fully engaged.

EDIT: I should have waited to post. cwa107 doesn't ramble like I tend to do (of course I am significantly older). I would call that a very succinct diagnosis.

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
therealmaceman

Now AFTER SMC RESET the battery indicator has changed from the X symbol to the plug inside of an empty battery and the Health Information now reads:

Cycle count: 234
condition: Check Battery
Battery Installed: Yes
Amperage: 38mA
Voltage: 3909 mV

All the rest is the same... Charge remaining: 0, Full charge capacity 0 etc. Battery is not charging..

dead battery?

Jeff
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealmaceman View Post
Now AFTER SMC RESET the battery indicator has changed from the X symbol to the plug inside of an empty battery and the Health Information now reads:

Cycle count: 234
condition: Check Battery
Battery Installed: Yes
Amperage: 38mA
Voltage: 3909 mV

All the rest is the same... Charge remaining: 0, Full charge capacity 0 etc. Battery is not charging..

dead battery?

Jeff
Sounds like it to me. 3-5 years is the average lifespan for a laptop battery, depending on usage and care. I find the cycle count to be a little on the low side, but considering the age of the machine, it's not unusual to require replacement.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
therealmaceman

Thanks dudes.

I will buy a new battery for my blackbook.

This JUST in:

My girlfriend has a white macbook with the same problem.

Her whitebook battery charges in my blackbook. Which means you are all correct. Bad battery in my blackbook.

BUT her good white battery does not charge in her book.

Motherboard?

Thanks smarter people.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

I would try an SMC reset and PRAM reset on hers as well.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« How do I find the correct DVD drive replacement? | Screen shot »