New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Removing unwanted network addresses

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Worried Woman

Worried Woman is on a distinguished road

Please could someone tell me how to remove old network addresses from the dropdown menu under the Airport icon? Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
Worried Woman

I have removed all the unwanted addresses from the Preferred Networks box in the System preferences>Network>Airport>Advanced page, unchecked Remember Networks and rebooted but they all still come up under the Airport when I click on Join Other Network. I have to do this to re-establish a connection. I have changed my ISP to try and improve the connectivity which is intermittent.
QUOTE Thanks
Worried Woman

I realise now the Airport list is showing available networks in the area, but there is one dominant one that my computer keeps flipping to and then disconnecting. It has come back into the Preferred Networks box mentioned above. Can I block that particular one somehow?
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worried Woman View Post
I realise now the Airport list is showing available networks in the area, but there is one dominant one that my computer keeps flipping to and then disconnecting. It has come back into the Preferred Networks box mentioned above. Can I block that particular one somehow?
It shouldn't attempt to connect to anything that you yourself haven't previously tried connecting to. I believe you said you've already done this, but the procedure to remove an unwanted (previously connected to) WiFi connection is to go to:

1. Apple Menu => System Preferences
2. Network
3. Select AirPort (or Wi-Fi if you have 10.7) from the left window pane
4. Click 'Advanced' button in the right window pane
5. Select the AirPort (or "Wi-Fi") tab. This should show any previously connected-to network. Select the network and click "-" to remove it.
6. Click OK
7. Click Apply
8. Close the window.

If this truly is what you've already done, I would also recommend changing your wireless router's "channel" setting to something else as the offending network may just be sending out a more "palatable" signal (although it really shouldn't be trying to connect to it without your say-so). Also, be sure you're using WPA security (not WEP) and have SSID broadcast ENABLED.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
Worried Woman

Hi Staff. Thank you for that information. I have already performed the actions (1-8) you describe, so I will contact the new ISP and check the other details you mention. Where do I see whether SSID broadcast is enabled?
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute

The settings I'm referring to are configured within your wireless router's setup program (typically configured via a webpage). You'll need to consult the documentation that came with your router to determine how to access it. I can't give you specifics because they vary (widely) from router to router. If it was supplied by your ISP (i.e. you didn't purchase a wireless router, it was given to you when your service was installed), then you'll want to check with your ISP.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
Worried Woman

I've had a long chat woith the ISP who have identified a point in the Airport settings where the problem might occur. If I follow your instructions 1-3 as above
1. Apple Menu => System Preferences
2. Network
3. Select AirPort (or Wi-Fi if you have 10.7) from the left window pane
I see a Location box that is selected as "Automatic". It has a dropdown menu that also offers "macbook"
With that Location box showing Automatic, there is also another box called "Network Name" which shows your Business Hub. That box also has a dropdown menu with three other network addresses that I want to remove. I have already removed those addresses from the Preferred Networks box. How can I remove them from the Network Name box, please?
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

When you click the drop down that currently reads "Automatic", there should be an option to 'Edit Locations'. From there, you can remove the miscellaneous locations.

QUOTE Thanks
Worried Woman

Thank you cwa107 - but doesn't that "Edit Locations" box only allow me to remove either "Automatic" or "macbook"? I need to get at the network addresses that come up when I click on Automatic, because I do need to use the Automatic option - but only with my one preferred network.
QUOTE Thanks
Worried Woman

I am still hoping for help with the problem I posted at 3:41 on 12.12.11. The problem seems to show on the page where I can "Edit Locations" on my Airport settings between Automatic and macbook, but I have not received any advice on how to remove the Network addresses that appear in the dropdown menu of networks on that page.
Also, despite clearing and restarting I notice macforums is not showing any threads since 12th (today is 14th) and I seem to be the only person looking at the threads. Is it a holiday where you are, or is there also a problem with my pages updating?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Please do not start a new thread. If you wish to "bump" your old thread to the top of the list of threads, just reply to it with the word "bump". Starting a new thread will only cause confusion and you'll wind up with replies that are scattered about.
QUOTE Thanks
Worried Woman

Thanks for that advice. I would really appreciate some help with my problem.
QUOTE Thanks
Worried Woman

Please can you help with this - or else let me know if there is no remedy or if you need more info. It is really causing me a problem. Thanks
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« adding LDAP server for VPN Clients? | I need help and i'm losing hair deciding »