New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Headphone Jack Stuck in port with superglue

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

kieranvogel

kieranvogel is on a distinguished road

Before you tell me to use the search function, I did and my certain case is different.

Somehow the tip of a headphone jack got stuck in the port, so I read here to use superglue and the rest of the headphone jack to get it out...for some reason, it didn't work and now I have superglue in my headphone port!

What can I do? I assume I'm totally screwed.

Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
Kevriano

Kevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.

Err, the superglue idea was not a good one! Yes, basicaly you have made your headphone jack useless, and without stripping the Mac and replacing it, you are going to be without.

Try my custom Mac Forums Search Engine: Mac Forums Google Search

Please use the reputation system if you consider any help given useful (it's the little ✓/✘ on the left <---)

QUOTE Thanks
rabbitjetta

rabbitjetta is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13" Retina Pro, iPhone 5, iPad 4, iPod touch 3-5, iMac 27

You have to take the Mac apart now and get a new jack. Not a good idea to use super glue.
QUOTE Thanks
kieranvogel

I thought there was no way to just get to the jack...I was sure you have to replace the whole logic board.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieranvogel View Post
I thought there was no way to just get to the jack...I was sure you have to replace the whole logic board.
You are correct. The jack is surface mounted to the logic board. Apple will not replace the jack without replacing the entire logic board.
QUOTE Thanks
kieranvogel

So how much would it cost me to fix? I have AppleCare, if it matters (probably doesn't).

Having a laptop with no sound is a pain in the butt. Is there any other way I could get sound on it?
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

Second hand logic board about $250 plus another $150 or so fitting. No other way alas.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
kieranvogel

Thanks for your help, fellas.

Unfortunately, I can't afford that. Is it possible to use some sort of USB audio interface? Like plug something into my USB port that'll let me use my headphones?
QUOTE Thanks
Kevriano

Kevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.

You can get headphones that work via USB, but I am not sure how compatible with Mac they are. Have a google around for some more info on something like these:

Numark PHX-USB - PHX Pro DJ Headphones with USB Option

Try my custom Mac Forums Search Engine: Mac Forums Google Search

Please use the reputation system if you consider any help given useful (it's the little ✓/✘ on the left <---)

QUOTE Thanks
Jaygray

Jaygray is a jewel in the roughJaygray is a jewel in the roughJaygray is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD

I use a USB sound card on my MBP. Works great. The model I have is several years old, but I believe this is the current version of it.

Amazon.com: Creative Soundblaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro USB Audio System with THX SB1095: Electronics

When I got it, the software was windows only, and it made no reference to OS X compatibility. However, I plugged it in and it "just worked". I should mention that I only use 2 channel speakers, so I have never checked to see if the 5 channel surround works without the PC software.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Little Annoying Sound ... Is this Normal? | 2010 Logic board swap from 2.4 to 2.53? »