Upgrading 2011 macbook in the UK
    Hi, wondering if anyone could help me upgrade my new macbook (i'm planning to buy)

I'll be getting the current lower end 15" mbp and will be wanting to upgrade the ram to 8gb and the hard drive to at least 500gb at 7200rpm.
    I just want to know what makes/models would be guaranteed to work, I'm in the UK so also needs to be something that is easy and not too expensive to get here.
    Sorry if this should be obvious, I'm just wary about getting the stuff and finding that my macbook is picky and doesn't want to work with it.

Thanks!
    Jack

Specs:
    15" MB Pro, 2.66 i7 ; 11 MBA 1.8GZ i7; 13"MBA 2GZ i7 8 GB mem 512GB SSD, 2 iPad3s, 1 iPad Mini
    Many of us have had good luck
    with OWC (Performance Upgrades; FireWire USB SATA Storage; Memory, more at OWC), a USA based company who reportedly ship to the UK as well but you would be on your own concerning VAT and import duties.

Oh thanks, I'll take a look.
    But I'd really rather find out specifically what parts I need to get, or even just recommendations, and buy from the UK, as the time for it to get here from the US and the Customs fees are... not bodacious.

Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    Quote Originally Posted by j_brady View Post
    I just want to know what makes/models would be guaranteed to work, I'm in the UK so also needs to be something that is easy and not too expensive to get here.
    Quote Originally Posted by j_brady View Post
    Oh thanks, I'll take a look.
    But I'd really rather find out specifically what parts I need to get, or even just recommendations, and buy from the UK, as the time for it to get here from the US and the Customs fees are... not bodacious.
    Pretty much anything OWC sells is fine. When it comes to the ram...just look at the specs of the ram at OWC...then either buy at:

- OWC
    - Cruical
    - or any other supplier you trust in the UK

As far as the hard drive. I don't have any particular preferences...they're all pretty good.

HTH,

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Specs:
    Late 2011 13" MBP 2.4 GHz i5 16gb RAM, Early 2008 Mac Pro 2.8Ghz 8-Core Xeon 6gb RAM OSX 10.9.x
    For HDD I have been really happy with the Seagate brand, They are an OEM supplier for companies like Apple and Lenovo and they make good durable stuff. I upgraded my HDD to a 320gb HDD by them (came from a newer ThinkPad) and it has held up really well. I was at school one day and picked up my backpack with really fast and the zipper popped open and my macbook without a case flew about 7 feet from about 4 feet in the air (about how high the bag was i think) and the HDD along with the rest of the computer were fine. As for RAM I use G Skill but I don't really have any preference for RAM brands.

Thread Information