New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

No Audio when connecting DVI to VGA!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

PascalDeMaria

PascalDeMaria is on a distinguished road

Super weird issue here that just started happening.

At home, I run FCP on my Macbook 3.1 and use an external Vizio monitor to edit with those snazzy $100 Bose speakers.

Recently when I plugged my monitor in using the DVI to VGA cable, I started losing audio if my speakers were plugged in. When my speakers arent plugged in I get audio fine through the laptop speakers. Alternatively, when I unplug the monitor (but keep my Bose plugged in), the audio returns to the Bose speakers.

I've been looking online for 2 hours, can't really find any solutions. Does anyone have any tips?

Thanks!

Pascal
QUOTE Thanks
PascalDeMaria

bump!
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

How are you connecting the speakers ?
VGA and DVI do not carry an audio signal nor is there a provision in the pinout.
QUOTE Thanks
PascalDeMaria

Quote:
Originally Posted by osxx View Post
How are you connecting the speakers ?
VGA and DVI do not carry an audio signal nor is there a provision in the pinout.
The speakers are connected through the headphone jack. As soon as I connect the monitor, there's a popping noise through the speakers and they cut out. If I disconnect it, they go back to being normal.
QUOTE Thanks
PascalDeMaria

additionally, I can get audio through one speaker if I put the speaker cord into the headphone jack about 3/4s of the way.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

You must be using a mini DVI to VGA adapter to a VGA cable to the monitor. If it was working OK before and the sound was OK, try changing the adapter and or the cable. Also change out the speaker connector to the audio jack. One of those two cable hookups is likely your problem.
QUOTE Thanks
PascalDeMaria

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
You must be using a mini DVI to VGA adapter to a VGA cable to the monitor. If it was working OK before and the sound was OK, try changing the adapter and or the cable. Also change out the speaker connector to the audio jack. One of those two cable hookups is likely your problem.
I've used 4 different speaker cables, all different manufacturers, all the same issue. I'll run out and get a new VGA cable tomorrow, possibly a new adapter as well.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Original warranty over extended. | Damaged charger affects my laptop? »