New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Will 10.5 Leopard work on Ibook G4?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

MooseHaven

MooseHaven is on a distinguished road

I have an ibook g4 :
(14" iBook G4 Laptop10.4,AdobeCS, FCP, 640MB, 40GB,DVD/CDRW,Wifi)
((That's all the specs I have because I purchased the laptop from someone else))

I was wondering if 10.5 Leopard will work on this computer? Or just 10.4.

Thanks
-Jess
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseHaven View Post
I have an ibook g4 :
(14" iBook G4 Laptop10.4,AdobeCS, FCP, 640MB, 40GB,DVD/CDRW,Wifi)
((That's all the specs I have because I purchased the laptop from someone else))
Actually it's not all the specs you have. You forgot one of the most important specs...and that's the processor speed...which is VERY important in answering your OS 10.5 question.

If your iBook has a cpu faster than 867mhz...then it can run OS 10.5 Leopard. This is the minimum cpu speed spec...so the faster a cpu your iBook has...the better it will run OS 10.5.

HTH,

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Thread moved to more appropriate forum.

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
MooseHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
Actually it's not all the specs you have. You forgot one of the most important specs...and that's the processor speed...which is VERY important in answering your OS 10.5 question.

If your iBook has a cpu faster than 867mhz...then it can run OS 10.5 Leopard. This is the minimum cpu speed spec...so the faster a cpu your iBook has...the better it will run OS 10.5.

HTH,

- Nick

Oh! lol well I bought it used from someone else and that's all the specs he gave me. Erm I'm not sure what the specific cpu is of this computer lol. Is there a way to find out?
Thanks for the reply btw
QUOTE Thanks
MooseHaven

I should probably mention that when I start the computer, it won't go past the boot screen due to downloading Ubuntu (which completely wiped mac os). So I have to reinstall mac os. At the moment it's not working at all.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseHaven View Post
I should probably mention that when I start the computer, it won't go past the boot screen due to downloading Ubuntu (which completely wiped mac os). So I have to reinstall mac os. At the moment it's not working at all.
Sometimes there's a little ID tag of some sort on the computer that lists what the specs. of the computer was when it was new. If there was a Mac OS on it...it would be easy to get the cpu speed. I don't know if you can find the cpu speed with Ubuntu.

I just reviewed all the 14" iBook G4 models...and if you truly have an iBook G4 with a 14" display...then it has at least a 900mhz cpu...which would meet the minimum specs. for OS 10.5 Leopard.

Now you just have to go on e-Bay & spend $80-$100 to get a 10.5 install disk!

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Macbook froze | Just got a handmedown 2009 MBP. Should I format? »