New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Cracked MacBook Pro Screen - Temperature Fluctuation

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

AveragePro

AveragePro is on a distinguished road

Hello,

So winter has just arrived where I live, and my flat is cold - I see my breath inside to give you a clue to how cold. So this morning, i picked up my cold mac and turned it on, I believe because the screen was so cold that it resulted in a crack across my MacBook screen. I never dropped it. I never sat on it. I never slammed the screen shut.

I have an AppleCare extended warranty wish is valid for another 1.5 years.

Chances in a warranty-covered repair by Apple?

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

If you can convince Apple the cold temperature is what caused your MacBook screen to crack, then yes, they'll repair it under Apple care.
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

There is a minimum operating temperature listed in your computer's manual. I don't know which MacBook Pro model you have, but for the current model, it's 10 C or 50 F.

Since your breath was fogging, it was very likely (depending on humidity) that the temperature in your room was below this level.

If you operated your Mac below the minimum temperature, in spite of what it says in the manual, then this would not be covered by the warranty.
QUOTE Thanks
rabbitjetta

rabbitjetta is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13" Retina Pro, iPhone 5, iPad 4, iPod touch 3-5, iMac 27

The only thing that you can do is try and get it replaced.
QUOTE Thanks
dekan

dekan is a jewel in the roughdekan is a jewel in the rough

Good luck! Let us know how it went!

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« macbook pro newbie | MBP having intermittent trouble turning on * Help! »