New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

slow MBP (2009) even AFTER upgraded 8GB memory??

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

nerdyblonde

nerdyblonde is on a distinguished road

Hey everyone.. new here. I've been reading your forums to figure out other issues but I've gotten so frustrated with this computer I had to make an account to ask it myself!!!

I have a 2009 Macbook Pro unibody, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor, and a 500 GB HD. (OS X version 10.6.8)

It came with 4 GB of memory but since it has been running SO FRUSTRATINGLY SLOW for the past few months, I recently bought 8GB of memory and replaced it.. still slow as molasses.

I edit with Final Cut Pro, so I need my computer to go fast. It used to be fine, but now it's taking 5-6 second files 6 or more minutes to render!

I've also had issues with my wireless internet going slow as well, I've tried changing the DNS stuff and it didn't really work. Flash videos start out fine, then after a few minutes become unwatchable as they basically only play a few frames per second of the video while the audio stays normal.. so I only get a few moving pictures with all the sound.. It's SO annoying! I'm trying to edit a music video and it's going to take way longer than it should.

My mouse sometimes freezes and then jumps ahead too.

Can someone give some suggestions how to fix this? I've already cleared out a lot of files on my hard drive, to the point where it was less than half full, but still running slow.

The memory did show up in the About this Apple so I'm assuming I installed it correctly.

I tried getting different kinds of coolbook applications to slow down the fans but I heard those aren't really good for the computer.. what else can I do??

Thanks for your help!
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Download and run the free OnyX maintenance utility in auto mode. That will clean the caches and run the cleanup scripts. Also use it to repair permissions.

And... boot your machine with its install DVD and run Disk Utility directly from the DVD. Run a verify and repair on the entire hard drive. Let's see if the hard drive has any problems. Slow downs can be attributed to many things including hardware errors on the drive.
QUOTE Thanks
nerdyblonde

Alright, will d
QUOTE Thanks
nerdyblonde

Ok, I'm worried doing that will delete stuff... Unfortunately my wd 1 tb hd broke so I no longer have a way to back up my data.. Will anything get deleted?
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdyblonde View Post
Ok, I'm worried doing that will delete stuff... Unfortunately my wd 1 tb hd broke so I no longer have a way to back up my data.. Will anything get deleted?
If you use Onyx...nothing other than what is supposed to be deleted will be deleted (old or duplicate preference files, and it will empty various caches).

Just use Onyx's default setting's (don't check any additional box's)...and you will be fine. I just ran Onyx on my computer yesterday...and everything is fine.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« macbook key replacement | Customizing macbook pro »