New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

 
Start a Discussion
 

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Getting my first Mac, couldn't be more lost.


Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

 
Thread Tools
s2thalayer

 
Member Since: Nov 30, 2011
Posts: 2
s2thalayer is on a distinguished road

s2thalayer is offline
I've owned Dells all my life, had enough of buying a $1,000 computer just to have it crap out in a couple years. The last one I got literally fell apart, then the software eventually just crashed and won't run in any mode other than safe. I would consider myself above average at computer skills, so that just shouldn't happen. So I replaced my Dell Inspiron desktop with an Acer Aspire, and couldn't be happier given what I paid for it. I got it for the sole purpose of storing music for itunes, because i have a rather large library. Since my laptops have crapped out though, I use it for everything now.

However, i need some kind of laptop. I'm building a house, so I'm low on funds, and i hear a lot of good about macs. I have never even thought about researching or trying one, but I am now, and i have come to respect what I hear about the iBook G4. I'll add my girlfriend's laptop has had it also, so I need to buy 2 and not break the bank. Hers will be used mostly for school, web surfing, and photos (she is a photographer). Mine will be used mostly for web surfing, but maybe a bit of documents and such for work. To put it simply, these don't need to compete with alienware. Are these iBooks still decent computers even in this day and age? The ones I am looking at are $160 a piece (best offer on ebay could get it lower) and are refurbished by authorized sellers. They are the mid 2005 models. I know that is old for a laptop, but I just hear so many good reviews.

Also, I understand I'll probably have to do some work to such an outdated computer. It has a 40GB hard drive, so if i decided to upgrade these, is that something I can do myself? Also, would you say the Mac OS is better than 7? Are there any other modifications you would recommend i do? Also, is airport a good enough wifi platform, or should i look into a USB adapter? Sorry for the long post, but I'm just trying to tell the whole situation for better understanding. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

 
RavingMac's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 07, 2008
Location: In Denial
Posts: 7,650
RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

RavingMac is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by s2thalayer View Post
I've owned Dells all my life, had enough of buying a $1,000 computer just to have it crap out in a couple years. The last one I got literally fell apart, then the software eventually just crashed and won't run in any mode other than safe. I would consider myself above average at computer skills, so that just shouldn't happen. So I replaced my Dell Inspiron desktop with an Acer Aspire, and couldn't be happier given what I paid for it. I got it for the sole purpose of storing music for itunes, because i have a rather large library. Since my laptops have crapped out though, I use it for everything now.

However, i need some kind of laptop. I'm building a house, so I'm low on funds, and i hear a lot of good about macs. I have never even thought about researching or trying one, but I am now, and i have come to respect what I hear about the iBook G4. I'll add my girlfriend's laptop has had it also, so I need to buy 2 and not break the bank. Hers will be used mostly for school, web surfing, and photos (she is a photographer). Mine will be used mostly for web surfing, but maybe a bit of documents and such for work. To put it simply, these don't need to compete with alienware. Are these iBooks still decent computers even in this day and age? The ones I am looking at are $160 a piece (best offer on ebay could get it lower) and are refurbished by authorized sellers. They are the mid 2005 models. I know that is old for a laptop, but I just hear so many good reviews.

Also, I understand I'll probably have to do some work to such an outdated computer. It has a 40GB hard drive, so if i decided to upgrade these, is that something I can do myself? Also, would you say the Mac OS is better than 7? Are there any other modifications you would recommend i do? Also, is airport a good enough wifi platform, or should i look into a USB adapter? Sorry for the long post, but I'm just trying to tell the whole situation for better understanding. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
My youngest had an iBook G4 and it served very well for many years, so I don't have anything bad to say about them. Having said that, if there is ANY way, you need to strongly consider stretching your budget to a MacBook or early MacBook Pro. I would not reccommend going with a Power PC Mac, when you can get an Intel one for not a lot more.

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
s2thalayer

 
Member Since: Nov 30, 2011
Posts: 2
s2thalayer is on a distinguished road

s2thalayer is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razormac View Post
My youngest had an iBook G4 and it served very well for many years, so I don't have anything bad to say about them. Having said that, if there is ANY way, you need to strongly consider stretching your budget to a MacBook or early MacBook Pro. I would not reccommend going with a Power PC Mac, when you can get an Intel one for not a lot more.
How much more are we talking? And what model exactly can i look for?
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

 
RavingMac's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 07, 2008
Location: In Denial
Posts: 7,650
RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

RavingMac is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by s2thalayer View Post
How much more are we talking? And what model exactly can i look for?
I'm not real up on prices, but I believe I have seen a recent thread giving a typical price around $250 for an early MacBook.
Any of these in good shape should serve you fairly well.

EDIT: I looked on eBay and Amazon and found a number of MacBooks listed for around $350. I would guess if you look around and check Craigslist you can do better.

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

 
dtravis7's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 04, 2005
Location: Modesto, Ca.
Posts: 27,858
dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

dtravis7 is online now
An iBook G4 (Especially that very last model with Bluetooth) was a great computer. I still have my iBook G4 1.33 12". It's nice but getting long in the tooth. The G4 just can't keep up with todays usage. It's still useable for basic use, but getting slow and will not run the last two versions of OSX either.

I totally 100% agree with Razor. Get an Intel Macbook. If you are really broke, get the first one with just the Core Duo CPU. You can't run Lion 10.7 of OSX but Snow Leopard is just fine. It will still do everything a modern computer should do. If you can stretch the budget a bit more, go for a Macbook with a Core2Duo CPU and that way you can run the latest OSX also.

Check Ebay and Craigslist.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe


« Help!! | Macbook Pro (Mid-2009) RAM Upgrade?! »
Thread Tools

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Lost my Mac partition... Or how I killed my Mac Samsixx Apple Desktops 14 09-17-2010 02:58 PM
Disillusioned Mac desigener switches to Windows mogwai Schweb's Lounge 21 05-11-2006 03:05 PM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:43 PM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
X

Welcome to Mac-Forums.com

Create your username to jump into the discussion!

New members like you have made this community the ultimate source for your Mac since 2003!


(4 digit year)

Already a member?