Failed Motherboard?
    Good Morning folks,

hoping some of you may be able to help with what I've been told "must" be a failed motherboard. Without warning last week 2.5 yr old 13" Macbook pro froze and failed to boot properly. The symptom I am getting is a blank blue screen with no icons. I did a bit of reading and found this could be caused by an HDD issue, startup item or corrupt startup disc info. Here's what I've done so far:

-tried booting into safe mode - I am able to log in but get default desktop and still no icons
    -reset the RAM - no change
    -booted into single user mode to do a disc verify/repaid - HDD seems to be ok so no change
    -put into target mode and connected via firewire - HDD is readable, verified and repaired disc again (backed up necesary files..) - no change
    -tried to boot from OSX DVD to reformat and reinstall osX, WOULD NOT BOOT FROM DVD

Now, this last symptom is the one that has caused 3 seperate MAC certified techs at 3 different shops to tell me its the MoBO. They all said if it won't boot from an OSX DVD, it's the motherboard. I'm looking for a bit of insight and advice. I was going to use target mode to reformat and reinstall tonight and failing that pay for a $50 MoBO diagnostic just to make sure it truly is a paper weight. Any other ideas?

Specs:
    Late 2013 27" iMac, iPad 3, iPhone 6s+, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, El Capitan
    All the symptoms do point to a failed or failing logic board (mother board). Replacing that component is a major repair especially if it's done out of warranty. I would take it to an Apple store (if there's one nearby) and have them do a diagnostic. If it turns out to be the logic board, they can send it off to their repair depot. Their flat rate repair for that varies so be sure to get an estimate before you commit to repairing the machine.

Thanks, I appreciate the advice. If it is the Logic Board, I've been quoted about $850-$900 for the hardware alone. If that's the case, I'd rather purchase a new machine.

Specs:
    I don't know who quoted you that price as it seems high. Have you been to an Apple store with it?

The closest "apple store" is quite a ways and it's worth noting that the quote was in CDN dollars. Even if it turns out to be $850 or $900 after labor, it seems to make sense to get a new machine for the extra couple hundred dollars.

Looks like I can get the identical Logic Board online for $649 before taxes and shipping and I'd still have to put it in. Sad, sad face.

Specs:
    Our Apple store here in Fort Worth (where I live) will do a diagnostic for free or minimum charge (generally around $50) and will apply that charge to the repair. Normally a depot replacement for the logic board runs around $375 - $450. That's why I said I thought the price you were quoted is rather high. However, I'm not familiar with going repair rates in Canada.

All in all, it may be more cost effective not to repair the machine and instead replace it with a new one. You might want to consider placing it on eBay as is and explain. Even a not working MBP will sell and you may be surprised as to its worth.

Exellent idea, man! Thanks again for your help!

Thread Information