This is a bit convoluted.

My machine stopped working completely. Before that happened, the CD/DVD drive also stopped accessing CD/DVDs. However, it still operated and would make noise, so I took the liberty of disabling it. My girlfriend had a MacBook she wasn't using, so I swapped my hard drive from my defunct computer into it to see if it was salvagable. To my surprise, it was. It worked like a charm, and everything has been just fine. However, upon realizing that now I had a machine in which the optical drive wasn't shot, I decided to try burning a CD. When I inserted the CD, nothing happened. Also, it wouldn't eject. I had to restart the machine holding down the option key to eject the disk. My girlfriend assures me the optical drive previously worked. I am fairly certain that this is due in part to the fact I disabled the drive and deleted the IOCDstoragefamily.kext file. I kept a backup of the file and put it back in the extensions folder, but still the drive is unresponsive. Is there a way to use Terminal to get the drive back up and running? I also deleted the IODVDstoragefamily.kext file, and of course can't seem to find a backup of that. Could that possibly be the holdup? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am an idiot.

Here is my machine info:

Model Name: MacBook

Model Identifier: MacBook2,1

Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo

Processor Speed: 2.16 GHz

Number Of Processors: 1

Total Number Of Cores: 2

L2 Cache: 4 MB

Memory: 2 GB

Bus Speed: 667 MHz

Boot ROM Version: MB21.00A5.B07

SMC Version (system): 1.17f0