New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Reactivate internal optical drive in Macbook

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

aswzoom

aswzoom is on a distinguished road

This is a bit convoluted.

My machine stopped working completely. Before that happened, the CD/DVD drive also stopped accessing CD/DVDs. However, it still operated and would make noise, so I took the liberty of disabling it. My girlfriend had a MacBook she wasn't using, so I swapped my hard drive from my defunct computer into it to see if it was salvagable. To my surprise, it was. It worked like a charm, and everything has been just fine. However, upon realizing that now I had a machine in which the optical drive wasn't shot, I decided to try burning a CD. When I inserted the CD, nothing happened. Also, it wouldn't eject. I had to restart the machine holding down the option key to eject the disk. My girlfriend assures me the optical drive previously worked. I am fairly certain that this is due in part to the fact I disabled the drive and deleted the IOCDstoragefamily.kext file. I kept a backup of the file and put it back in the extensions folder, but still the drive is unresponsive. Is there a way to use Terminal to get the drive back up and running? I also deleted the IODVDstoragefamily.kext file, and of course can't seem to find a backup of that. Could that possibly be the holdup? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am an idiot.

Here is my machine info:

Model Name: MacBook

Model Identifier: MacBook2,1

Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo

Processor Speed: 2.16 GHz

Number Of Processors: 1

Total Number Of Cores: 2

L2 Cache: 4 MB

Memory: 2 GB

Bus Speed: 667 MHz

Boot ROM Version: MB21.00A5.B07

SMC Version (system): 1.17f0

Serial Number (system): W87214L3YA3

Hardware UUID: 00000000-0000-1000-8000-0019E33B5257

Sudden Motion Sensor:

State: Enabled
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Macbook Pro 13- How to tell if Superdrive has failed? | External HDD problem »