New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Hard Drive Upgrade - Drive Size Shown Incorrectly After Installation

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

HETS

HETS is on a distinguished road

I have an older model Macbook Version 2.1 that had an 80GB hard drive installed. I have just installed a Western Digital Scorpio Black 500GB internal hard drive upgrade and successfully cloned my data over using Carbon Copy Cloner. The problem I have encountered is that only 91.4GB of capacity is shown in Disk Utility for the new hard drive. After starting the computer using my bootable copy via an external USB drive, I formatted the newly installed 500GB drive with the appropriate Apple formatting (e.g. GUID and Mac OS Extended Journaled) but it only shows 91.4GB of capacity and space available on the new drive. I was able to successfully clone the information from my bootable back-up of the old drive to the new drive but I just don't have the full 500GB capacity available to me.

What should I do? Is this a problem with the new hard drive or is there something I need to change on my Macbook to "see" the whole capacity of my new drive? Currently, the drive shows:

Capacity = 91.4GB

Available Space = 21.2GB (after installation of the cloned information from the old drive)

Thanks for your advice,

Dave
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, iPhone 4, 3 iPods, OS X 10.9.2

Since you have a clone of your old hard drive try this:

Use Disk Utility from your install DVD to erase the drive, format it again as HFS Extended Journaled, GUID and then check the capacity. Don't use CCC yet. If it still shows as 91 GB of capacity, pull the drive and check to see if there are jumpers that have to be set or pulled.
QUOTE Thanks
TheDog

TheDog is on a distinguished road

What seems to have happened is that your MacBook has a max size of hard-drive space, and it seems the max is 100 Gigabytes. The only way I think there is to get past it is to buy software to hack through it and make and unlimited amount of hard-drive space or just a higher max amount, but that hardly works.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.2

Do as staff member chscag advised. The problem will be associated with the speed of the hard drive. MacBook 2.1 can recognize up to 120-160GB on a 5400rpm hard drive, and slightly more on a 7200rpm drive, which maxes capacity out at 200GB.

Download a little application called MacTracker for all the information on all Mac models.

http://mactracker.ca/

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« How to Uninstall VirtualBox | how to check MacBook fan health? »