New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Macbook Pro Bezel Crack

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mollusk

mollusk is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2007 Macbook Pro 3,1

Hey, just wondering if anyone knows how bad it will be if lower bezel cracks in a 2007 Macbook Pro go unattended to.

Like the ones referred to here:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread...art=0&tstart=0

I have read a couple accounts saying the bezel and case come apart, wires start showing, the display stops functioning... It seems to be a common problem. Many seem to say it isn't just the bezel but the case backing being broken at the screws, causing the stress to fall on the bezel and break it.

Assuming it is pretty bad, if anyone has any solution ideas (DIY full repair sounds pretty difficult, Apple and third party repairs are quite expensive...) it would be very helpful. I am willing to do some macgyver rigging as long as it keeps my computer together. It doesn't need to be pretty either...
QUOTE Thanks
mollusk

Well I decided to do this...

Duct tape and wood! It looks like like crap, I know. Probably not the best idea, but I don't want my computer falling apart and I lack funds to fix it.
QUOTE Thanks
firekrakr64

firekrakr64 is on a distinguished road

Wondering how you made out w/your MBP bezel problem - did you ever have it fixed? The same thing happened to my '08 MBP. Seems to have been a faulty design, otherwise why was it changed in subsequent models? Brought it to Apple when it was just cracked. Was quoted $3-400 to fix. Didn't seem worth it, since the "genius" told me it wouldn't get worse. Well, it got worse. Now, the whole bottom has come apart, exposing the inside of the cover/screen, rendering it completely useless. Just wondering if anyone else out there has had any success in dealing w/Apple on this problem.
QUOTE Thanks
mollusk

That is rough man... I never got mine fixed. My computer is still all taped up as shown above. I don't know how much it's helping though, the crack on one side looks like its getting worse.

I am surprised no one on this forum besides you and I have mentioned this occurring. I guess it isn't extremely common, but that link I posted above contains 8 pages of posts on the apple support forums from people with this problem. It didn't sound like many had much luck with apple. A few said they got it fixed third party for a $300 or so.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Macbook Air 13" 2011 128GB:Battery life and Boot times | What's a good Mac for iOS development? »