New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Charging issue, help please!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

nblaquie

nblaquie is on a distinguished road

Hi. I have a mac osx 10.6.8 I purchased in December 2009, it's a white macbook.

Just recently, I have been having problems with the charger connecting with the laptop. Should I clean the receiving/charger end, if so how? Am I in deep doodoo and need some expensive part? Does anyone have any home remedies so I don't have to go to a mac repair shop?

Thank you,

Nichole
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

What kind of problem are you having connecting? The MagSafe charging unit and adapter is magnetic and should "lock" on to the receptacle of your MacBook. Make sure both the connector and receptacle are free from debris especially things like small pieces of metal.
QUOTE Thanks
nblaquie

Hi Chscag. The magnet is still locking and there is no debris, maybe the tiniest bit of dirt I don't know how to clean. Other than that, the connection b/w the magsafe and laptop is becoming tenuous even though the magnet has the magsafe "locked" into the laptop. Last night I had to try about 20 times before the connection took and it started charging. I'm worried.

Thank you
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

If it continues to give you problems, it might mean buying a new MagSafe Charger unit for your MacBook. Other World Computing stocks them for $24.99. However, if there's a problem with the connection receptacle that means an Apple in house repair.
QUOTE Thanks
sonhascome

sonhascome is on a distinguished road

you can get a magsafe i/o board fairly cheap on ebay and install that if you are still having trouble with it after getting another charger.
QUOTE Thanks
Jaygray

Jaygray is a jewel in the roughJaygray is a jewel in the roughJaygray is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD

If you can manage to make the end of your charger look like this, Apple will replace it for free.

Apple Replacing Faulty MagSafe Power Adapters | News | The Mac Observer
QUOTE Thanks
nblaquie

JayGray, Thank you for the info! My charger does already look like that, and I had no idea apple replaces them. About two or three weeks ago I noticed the rubber separated near the magsafe output piece, and I just put a little electric tape around it because I thought it was dangerous but didn't realize it would affect the charging. I'll try to see if apple will replace it, otherwise I'll be on the lookout for my own replacement. Thank you everyone for your help.

Have a good day.

Nichole
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Home Made Time Capsule | Macbooks and powersurge damage: Prevention? »