New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro screen auto-dims and but doesn't come back

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

birdlaw

birdlaw is on a distinguished road

I have a MacBook Pro and when I try to use my computer after it auto-dims the display fails to brighten. If I try use the brightness controls it doesn't affect anything, but I can see that it's registering (not that this should be affecting the auto-dim). However, after somewhere between 5 and 30 seconds the display comes back to normal. Also, it doesn't do this every time, but it does it the majority of the time.

If anyone has any explanation for this/recommendation for what to look at, I would greatly appreciate it.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

You didn't tell us the age of your MBP, but try doing a SMC reset as that controls the dimming and power functions. If that doesn't help and your MBP is still under warranty or Apple care, take it on in and have Apple look at it.
QUOTE Thanks
birdlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
You didn't tell us the age of your MBP, but try doing a SMC reset as that controls the dimming and power functions. If that doesn't help and your MBP is still under warranty or Apple care, take it on in and have Apple look at it.
Sorry, it's pretty new. 4-5 months old.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Did you try the SMC reset?
QUOTE Thanks
birdlaw

Sorry for the delayed response, I was away from my computer and couldn't try it until this morning. Full day's worth of use and no issues, so hopefully that cured it. It would go in streaks and would get worse the longer my computer was on without being shut down, so it's possible the problem will come back, but I'm optimistic right now.

Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Will this HD work with my Early 2008 MacBook Pro | MBP - Upgraded Video Card or Not? »