New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Macbook Advice for high schooler

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

brhon

brhon is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac, iPad, iPhone4

I have a 16 yo daughter with an HP laptop that has crashed for the final time. I can replace it with another hp like device for a couple hundred bucks to get her through high school or I can upgrade to Apple Macbook, or Air.

I found an off lease refurbished White Macbook for 499 with 2 gb ram, Intel Core 2 Duo, and 320 gb hd with a90 warranty.

The most complex work she is doing now is in all AP classes using MS Office. Regardless of what I do now I am sure she will need a new machine when she goes to college in 2014.

I am leaning toward the White Macbook for the price and to get rid of the last remaining PC in my house. Any thoughts or suggestions?
QUOTE Thanks
19birel

19birel is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.4Ghz i5 13" MBP antiglare 16gb RAM 500gb HD OSX 10.9.x

I am a freshman in highschool and have a white MacBook 13" but with the Core Duo instead of Core 2 Duo processor and I love it. I do basic programming on mine as well as use it for notes, powerpoints etc. and it is perfect. The core 2 duo model you were looking at will deffinetly last her through highschool is it was well taken care of. The only thing that "broke" on mine is the headphone jack but that might have been my fault and it still sorta works anyways. I'd buy her the white macbook now and then when she goes to college get her an Air or pro. By then Intel may launch an i9 processor (i heard one should come out in at least few years) and then you will be able to buy a new i7 MacBook for cheaper. Unless she likes to play a lot of games or run demanding programs a completely stock Core 2 Duo MacBook will be perfect.
QUOTE Thanks
brhon

brhon is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac, iPad, iPhone4

Thanks. I appreciate the response. I think the white MB is a good choice for her. The HP has been a problem since day one.
QUOTE Thanks
nemick

nemick is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro, 2.53GHz, C2D, 4G RAM, 250G HDD

My boy is still using his MacBook which he got new in late 2006. The thing looks all beat to ****, but it has never so much as hiccuped. If the one you are looking at as been reasonably well cared for, your daughter will be a happy camper.

Thanks
Neil M.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« MBP Anti-Glare online retailers, deals... | Mba or mbp!??? »