New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Macbook Pro Late 2006 ram upgrade up to 4GB?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jplumaa

jplumaa is on a distinguished road

The macstore phone assitant wasn't sure about if my Macbook Pro Late 2006 can handle up to 4GB of RAM or not. So I'm asking you guys.
I got the following MacBook Pro (Late 2006) - Technical Specifications
from her and It says RAM mem upgrades is just up to 3GB. But macstore assitant said If your mac has two ram slots It could possbly handle 4GB.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

According to MacTracker, you can put in 4GB but only 3GB will be addressed. In other words, your max is 3GB.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
jplumaa

Thakyou so much really helped the RAM memory addressing information. But I have another issue:
Do you know If in order to upgrade my RAM. Do I need to buy two 2GB ram DIMMs or Just my current 1GB and buy one 2GB DIMM to add it. I'm short on $ so I need to know before buying.
QUOTE Thanks
nemick

nemick is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro, 2.53GHz, C2D, 4G RAM, 250G HDD

For reasons that are still a little unclear to me, I have successfully installed 4 gig of ram on my late 2006 MacBook. The technical specs informed me that I could only install 2 gig, but a member here informed me that it could actually cope with 3.25 gig. I went ahead and purchased 2 x 2 gig replacement ram modules and put them in, expecting to get the 3.25 gig. I am happy to find that all 4 gig is now showing as being installed and operating normally. I don't know why this is, but it worked for me.

Thanks
Neil M.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemick View Post
I went ahead and purchased 2 x 2 gig replacement ram modules and put them in, expecting to get the 3.25 gig. I am happy to find that all 4 gig is now showing as being installed and operating normally. I don't know why this is, but it worked for me.
If you go to "About This Mac"...it will show 4gig installed. But if you go to "Activity Monitor", and click on the "System Memory" tab...under the "pie-chart" what number is there?

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
jplumaa

Another cuestion aside. Do you advise an upgrade witn 3.35 Gig to Lion?
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jplumaa View Post
Another cuestion aside. Do you advise an upgrade witn 3.35 Gig to Lion?
Sure...your MBP meets the requirements.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
jmattv

jmattv is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
If you go to "About This Mac"...it will show 4gig installed. But if you go to "Activity Monitor", and click on the "System Memory" tab...under the "pie-chart" what number is there?

- Nick
I agree with your point. I have 4GB installed and it says 4GB in "About This Mac" button but in Activity Monitor it shows only 3 GB of Ram installed & my Ram used" tonight shows up at 2.13GB.
The reason I am adding to this older thread is an idea for making use of that extra Ram by creating a 1 GB Ram Drive which is temporary and add it to the Virtual Memory. Has anyone ever tried this or would know how to do it?
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Even if it were possible to create a RAM Disk on a Mac - and I have not checked to see if there is any software available for OS X to do this or not - you are not going to create one from the 1 GB of memory that is not being used.

Only 3 GB of memory is addressable - that is a hardware limitation of our (yes, I have a late '06 model) MBP. A RAM disk can only be created from addressable memory. So, to create one, it would be created from and would reduce the current available memory.

You can always search and see if someone has developed the software required for OS X.
Personally, think it'd be pretty much a waste of time for anyone with only 4 GB of RAM or less in their machines - especially with 10.7 or 10.8.
A hard core gamer with 8GB or more of RAM, might be a worth while look into it.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
jmattv

jmattv is on a distinguished road

Thank you for clarifying the 3 GB limit of addressable RAM. Of course, you are spot on about that.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Old Macbook Wont Boot.... Help Please! | HBOGo on iBook »