New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Macbook sound problem!!!!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

19birel

19birel is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.4Ghz i5 13" MBP antiglare 16gb RAM 500gb HD OSX 10.8.x

The speaker icon on my mac is gray and won't let me adjust sound, if i use the keyboard the sound icon comes up with a circle with a line through it below the little window with the speaker and volume level. I have gon into the system prefs and can't get it working and i restarted the computer twice and still no luck, any advice guys?
QUOTE Thanks
19birel

BUMP! FOrgot to mention the inside of my headphone jack is lit up red but if i plug in headphones they work
QUOTE Thanks
samsa

samsa will become famous soon enough

There's a little switch you need to trip inside the jack. If you use a flashlight and look carefully you should be able to see it. This has happened occasionally to me and I use an unfolded paperclip.
QUOTE Thanks
19birel

I have gotten it to the point where i can do this but if i plug headsets in it goes back or sometimes it just randomly quits working any way to permanently fix this?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

No, unfortunately. There's a small switch located on the inside of the jack which when the headphones are plugged in switches the sound from the speakers to the phones. That switch also puts the jack in digital mode (red light). If you can get it working temporarily, leave it alone otherwise it means changing the entire logic board just to replace the jack.
QUOTE Thanks
19birel

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
No, unfortunately. There's a small switch located on the inside of the jack which when the headphones are plugged in switches the sound from the speakers to the phones. That switch also puts the jack in digital mode (red light). If you can get it working temporarily, leave it alone otherwise it means changing the entire logic board just to replace the jack.
Well I was planning on doing a logic board swap anyways so i guess I'll have to wait to mend it until then. Thanks
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Is upgrading the graphics card possible? | How to REALLY Delete Firefox History »