New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Macbook pro audio issues?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

tabascojr

tabascojr is on a distinguished road

While I am hoping this is not a hardware issue, I believe it is. My apologies if it is not.
For about a week I have been having an issue with audio on my macbook(unibody, 2.66ghz i7, 4gb ram, 1.5 years old).

When: Mostly with internet streaming content, specifically with netflix, pandora, grooveshark, but also in non-internet applications like itunes. Happens regardless of number of applications opened. Also, my internet connection is not the issue. Other devices have no such problems on the same network.

What: Audio cuts in and out when listening on internal speakers, but computer indicates that content is still playing. When listening on headphones, sometimes audio switches back and forth between internal speakers and headphones, and sometimes cuts in and out similar to listening with internal speakers. If I continue listening/watching content will sometimes freeze up entirely.

Any help you can offer is appreciated.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

From your description, it sounds like an intermittent audio jack. There's a small switch internal to the jack hardware that switches the audio output from speakers to headset. Sometimes that switch gets stuck or becomes unstable.

You can try using a sturdy toothpick by inserting it into the jack and moving it around a bit inside to see if you can get it working again. If your machine is covered by Apple care it probably would be best to take it on in and have Apple look at it. The usual repair for a defective jack is to replace the entire logic board. Sounds drastic but the jack assembly is surface mounted to the logic board and can not easily be swapped out.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Issue with Macbook (sleep mode!) | The most extreme series of Mods Ever Done To A Powerbook G4 Titanium »