Do I have to get airport express to install wireless printer?
    I just got my first macbook and can't figure out how to setup my printer. I had a windows pc, router and a printer hooked up to the router and was able to print wirelessly. Do I have to buy airport express to get my mac to print wirelessly to this printer? The printer doesn't have wifi; it's just connected to my router. Thank for your help.

Specs:
    1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
    You don't need an express - but you probably need drivers from the router manufacturer so it shows up on your Mac. Who makes the router and what model is it? Usually there are drivers available from the manufacturer website.

I have a wireless network printer from canon and to print from either Mac or PC - I have to install the canon drivers.

Specs:
    Sept. '07 white 13" MacBook 8,2 - 10.7.5
    I use an airport extreme to print wirelessly to a standard HP printer. The printer plugs into the airport and I connect to it via the airport in the computer. Is this what you're asking? Mine is an airport extreme, but I'm sure it doesn't have to be the "extreme" model.

Specs:
    2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)
    Quote Originally Posted by prepishlypunk View Post
    I just got my first macbook and can't figure out how to setup my printer. I had a windows pc, router and a printer hooked up to the router and was able to print wirelessly. Do I have to buy airport express to get my mac to print wirelessly to this printer? The printer doesn't have wifi; it's just connected to my router. Thank for your help.
    Not at all - I use an ASUS router with a print server and it works like a charm from my Mac (with a bit of a fight). What router and what printer make/model do you have?
    Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
    M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
    Writing a Quality Post

Specs:
    09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
    I have found if you hook the printer up via USB on a Mac then make sure the Mac sees it make it default if its your main printer hit software update then unless the printer is to old or the mfg did not supply Apple with the drivers it will update to the latest available then disconnect and hook it back up to the router and set it up for shared printing over the network in your router menu.

Thread Information