New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

New 13" MBP Vs. Refurbished 15" MBP

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

googs185

googs185 is on a distinguished road

I'm going to be buying a MPB, probably today. I've been doing a lot of research and I'm trying to decide between a 13" late 2011 release MBP (2.8ghz dual core processor, 4 GB ram, 4mb cache, 750 mb HDD, integrated graphics) and a 15" MBP from early 2011 (2.0ghz quad core, 500gb HDD, 4 GB RAM, 6mb cache, Intel HD Graphics 30005 and AMD Radeon HD 6490M with automatic graphics switching. 256MB GDDR5 graphics memory.) . My main question is which will be faster, the 13" with the 2.8 ghz dual core, or the 15" with the 2.0 ghz quad core? Which computer is likely to remain relevant for longer, because I don't plan on updating anytime soon. I will be doing web browsing, word processing, music recording with garage band and possible other programs, and DJaying with Virtual DJ. The two laptops are the same price because I'm using the education discount on the new 13" and the refurb is discounted already. Which one would you go with for my needs and which processor do you think is better and will remain relevant for longer? Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
googs185

Please help guys! I've got them both sitting here on my screen in two seperate tabs waiting on your response to check out!
QUOTE Thanks
Bob_Stan

Bob_Stan is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.5 Ghz Quad Core i7,SSD,3TB Fusio Fusion,32GB . MBPro 2.2Ghz 128GB SSD, 500GB HD, 8GB

Either would be sufficient for your needs. The 15 would probably "be faster" but i doubt you would notice any difference. For me, the 15 inch provides more screen real estate which is a plus for me.

I expect both of them would be considered "obsolete" within 3 years, but that's how it goes with any computer.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

I would get the 15" if the larger size (15" display) and it's higher price is not an issue.

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
googs185

OK, ordering now!
QUOTE Thanks
mostro

mostro will become famous soon enough

In terms of specs, they are going to be pretty similar in day to day use, in fact you may see no difference at all. Only time you'll notice a big difference is gaming or graphics-intensive tasks where the better GPU in the 15" will help a lot.

Really, it comes down to the 13" is fairly portable, while the 15" is not. If you use it more at home on your desk and portability isn't an issue, then the extra screen real estate is quite nice. Also you have the option of anti-glare with the 15". But if you travel a fair amount or work outside your home, you may want the 13".
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« A question about the Bluetooth Wireless technology | Keyboard issues »