New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro Won't Shut Off

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ooohhhmeganbug

ooohhhmeganbug is on a distinguished road

I am having issues with this. Every time I try to shut off my MacBook Pro by using the shut down option, I sit and wait for it to shut down, and it never does. The only way I can get it to shut down is to press down the power button and hold it, for a hard shut down. This isn't hard, obviously, just kind of annoying. The last posts I saw related to this were dated in 2009, and talked about having to completely wipe off my computer and start fresh. Not only do I not know how to do this, but it doesn't sound pleasant.
Help?
QUOTE Thanks
ImageX

ImageX will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 17" MBP C2D 2.8 4GB OS X 10.8 | iPhone 5

If you haven't yet, I 'd try Onyx. What version of OS X are you running? I'll find a link for you if I know your version. Onyx cleans out various parts of your computer and can rebuild launch services and other useful maintenance processes. Could just need a cleaning to freshen it up a little. Hopefully this will help.

- ImageX

"The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese."

Remember to use the Reputation System!
QUOTE Thanks
ooohhhmeganbug

ooohhhmeganbug is on a distinguished road

I'm running on Lion.

Another problem I'm having, is that yesterday and the day before my laptop randomly shut down on me. The first time, it felt really hot so I just let it sit for a while before I tried to turn it back on. Yesterday, I had to try multiple times before it would turn right back on right away, and it didn't even feel slightly warm. I asked my dad about it (he's a systems engineer) and he said apparently that's normal for macs? And that a way I could fix it was to take out the battery and put it back in, or do something with the RAM?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« How durable/fragile is the Macbook Air? | Help needed with MacBook. »