New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Partition Does Not Show When Installing Lion

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Nagglfar

Nagglfar is on a distinguished road

I tried installing Lion from the dvd. It installs successfully. But when I go to restart my MacBook Pro, no partitions show. I need to restart again and push the "alt" key and wait for the partitions to show.

The two DVD partitions show up as "Windows" and "EFI Boot", where Windows is actually the OS X Lion DVD. Not quite sure why it's showing up as Windows.

And my hard disk partition which shows up fine during the installation doesn't even show up at all. It basically goes through setup and can't complete the Lion install after the restart.

I was reading up on EFI boot and apparently it says it's showing that on my computer due to the partition structure, as my hard disk isn't a GUID structure. But when I run disk utility on the setup disk the disk shows up as fine, verified and I even repaired it and created/erased the partition multiple times.

Any ideas? I can run Linux on my laptop but whenever I'm trying to reinstall OS X it always goes lame.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

When you have installed Lion satisfactorily, go into Utilities > BootCamp Assistant and run that after downloading drivers, and make the partition to whatever size you wish, and then proceed with Windows install. BootCamp Assistant makes the partition, not you manually via Disk Utility etc.

Your hard drive must be GUID structure prior to installing Lion.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

You tried installing Lion from what DVD?

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
wolfpuppies3

wolfpuppies3 is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 15" MB Pro, 2.66 i7 ; 11 MBA 1.8GZ i7; 13"MBA 2GZ i7 8 GB mem 512GB SSD, 2 iPad3s, 1 iPad Mini

I was unaware it was available any way but download or Apple Lion thumb drive.
QUOTE Thanks
Nagglfar

Is there a Boot Camp assistant iso I can just run before installing Lion?
Lion installs from the install DVD, just when I go to restart the partitions don't even show. So I can't even download drivers or anything.

I don't want to install windows either. Is Boot camp mainly just for windows?
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

There are no Lion install DVDs. And Bootcamp is ONLY for installing Windows.

You pulling our whatsits?

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
ELSELS

ELSELS is on a distinguished road

Hello,

I believe you can "create" a Lion DVD disc, burning the DMG (Lion image file) to DVD.

Thanks!

Have a nice day,

Ed
QUOTE Thanks
Nagglfar

Alright.

In terms of fixing my hard disk structure (I dont care about losing any data on it) could I use something similar to like a grub superdisk? I tried using grub rescatux (for linux filesystems), but it can do sort of a similar thing. It has fixed my MBR in the past. I just need to modify it from an EFI structure to GUID correct? For Lion to work?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Macbook Pro wont charge | Image projection »