New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Old Powerbook wont backup external hdd

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

kimouette

kimouette is on a distinguished road

Hi,

I have this good old Powerbook G4 (1.33Ghz, 250Gb hdd) that started to show signs of weakness. I also have an old external hdd (iomega minimax 500Gb) that I have been using for many years to back up everything that I've been keeping on my Mac.

Now these 2 pieces of hardware are getting old, and I'm stuck!!

I bought a new USB2 external hdd (of 1To so plenty of space in there!!) and now I want to partition this hdd to use one half to backup my powerbook's internal hdd, and another partition to back up my 500Go iomega minimax.

The Mac is so slow it wont let me do that!! To backup the Minimax I only found out how to create an image using disk utility and to back up my internal hdd I've been using Clone X2. I think Clone X2 will do the job within about 13 hours but the Minimax back up will take approximately 100 hours! I left it running for more that 10 hours and it was not even at 10% of the progress bar. Plus, this made both the Minimax and my internal hdd run like crazy and become really hot! I was afraid something would melt or explode!

So I decided to use my Pc (Lenovo 3000 N200), but I cant find a way to achieve what Im trying to do! I tried Easeus, HFSExplorer, Macdrive and Paragon Backup.... none of these software will allow me to run my Minimax and back it up on my other external drive. I thought maybe I could create an iso of my Minimax.. but I have to use my other external drive for that since none of my computers have 500Go of space left.

Maybe there's a solution I simply didnt think of?? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Kim
QUOTE Thanks
kimouette

kimouette is on a distinguished road

any suggestion?
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4

Alas you should have looked for a Firewire external case as USB is generally far to slow to permit a backed up external to boot. With a Mac, an external drive must be formatted Mac OS Extended (Journalled) and select as Apple Partition Map under Partition. With the external connected, go into Disk utility and format and partition there. the drive should appear in the left hand column.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Best affordable/efficient place to buy RAM for new 13" MBP(i5) | Prediction?! »