New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

I can't download RAR files from the internet

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Clif52

Clif52 is on a distinguished road

For some reason starting yesterday I can no longer download RAR files. I was trying to download a 4.5meg file and all I get is a 4kb placeholder file. I asked on the forum where I got the link and the PC guys can download it with no problem. Anyone have an idea of what the problem is.

I'm using a MacBook with OS 10.5.8

Thanks for any info
Clif
QUOTE Thanks
Clif52

I forgot to mention that I ran all Norton Utilities updates and ran the scan last night. Nothing found. I downloaded a 30 trial of Mac Scan and isolated and deleted 130 tracking cookies. Still no luck.

Clif
QUOTE Thanks
mars47

mars47 is on a distinguished road

My problem also started yesterday. Files (regardless of size) download immediately, but there's no data. Files is corrupted/damaged. I have an iMac 10.6.8. I've tried Safari and Firefox and a variety of RAR expanders, repaired Permissions; nothing works. No previous problems. Don't know what else to try.

Mars
QUOTE Thanks
Clif52

I've run into another problem now. I got my wife to download the file for me at work and email me the RAR file. I still can't decompress it. I downloaded a RAR Expander for MAC and I tried both "StuffIt Destinations" and "StuffIt Expander". All three give me a corrupted file can't complete operation. I'm running out of ideas.
QUOTE Thanks
lesit

lesit is on a distinguished road

Me too. I tried every browser on my iMAC. I even opened up VMWare Fusion. I'm using 10.6.8 but the same thing happened when I booted in 10.5.8.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

Want some good advice? Chuck Nortons and MacScan.

If you feel you must have antivirus software coming from the PC world, look at ClamXAV which is freeware. The biggest virus threat is the nut behind the wheel. Do not install anything you do not know that asks for admin password.

http://www.clamxav.com/download.php

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
lesit

lesit is on a distinguished road

That last suggestion did the trick! I disabled the vulnerability protection on my Norton Firewall and the rar files started downloading completely.
QUOTE Thanks
Clif52

Same here. I'll have to download the Clamxav and use it instead of Norton.

Thanks
Clif
QUOTE Thanks
Nivek

Nivek is on a distinguished road

I had this same problem yesterday, and worked after i disabled vulnerability protection. I was wondering if there could be a single signature I could disable instead of the whole thing.
QUOTE Thanks
batmanvoice

batmanvoice is on a distinguished road

Had this same problem and this solution also worked for me. Wondering if there is just one signature I can disable rather than turning off vulnerability protection altogether.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute

Vulnerability protection from what?

There are no Mac OS X viruses, and the few malware threats can be beaten by not using your admin password unless you are 100% sure what you are installing. Also if you use Safari, go into Preferences > General and make sure the little box beside 'Open safe files' is NOT selected.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
waytodawn321

waytodawn321 is on a distinguished road

I am having the same exact problem. I am running 10.6.8 and have Norton Antivirus. Is there a setting in Firefox that I can change to fix this issue or do I have to change some setting in Norton?
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

It is not a coincidence you folk are all having Norton problems. What I can never understand is paying money to download Windows only virus definitions to a Mac computer. There are no Mac OS X viruses hence no virus definitions to download.

waytodawn321 sdee reply number 6!

QUOTE Thanks
MrKuter

MrKuter is on a distinguished road

I just this forum to say thank you for figuring out this issue. Ive been having it for several days and couldnt understand what happened. Did a quick google search and found this thread. Thank you again.

Now how do I uninstall Norton, Ive been messing around with it and cant seem to figure it out. Im still kind of new to Mac so Im on a learning curve.

-Kuter-
QUOTE Thanks
Gdubb

Gdubb is on a distinguished road

Like the previous poster, I just joined to say a big thanks for helping me resolve this issue!

This started for me on Friday as well, which is odd in the extreme, that many had this exact problem happen on the same day.

I called Apple, and the first layer of help couldn't do the trick, then I got a senior advisor, and still no solution. They kicked me up to an engineer. Only today did they get back to me with the engineer, but just in time I found this answer by using google. If not, they were prepared to upend my computer searching for a solution to the problem, which they never would have gotten, since they really have no dealing with Norton.

All the answers in this thread did the trick, and I'm just so glad I found this before they destroyed my computer with a bunch of non necessary action! All the instruction here was clear, and easy to understand, and easy to follow!

I did call them back to let them know this solution just in case they are getting a raft of other complaints from other Mac users about this issue.

Thanks again!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Macbook a1286 Battery | Something I noticed after SSD install »