New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Startup Disk change... now i cannot go back anymore!!! What to do???

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

will99

will99 is on a distinguished road

Hi Guys,

i have a MBP that i have brought to have a HD change and they put me a 500gb Disk but the DVD disk with Snow Leopard that i had is scratched and didn't work... i called an apple store to know if they had a DVD set with Leopard and they say that they do not hold any physical OS X in stores anymore and that everything has to be ordered via Apple.com... i cant wait so what do i do?

I tried a couple of things that i have found over internet but they dont work and i cant seem to find anybody that has a Snow Leo ISO to give me...

Also, at the beginning the DVD boots but then when installing after 5 minutes it stops cause of errors ... the last time i have tried to make it boot from another USB external disk by choosing Startup disk cause i thought it was my DVD player but now i'm UNABLE to make the machine boot from the internal DVD player ... it always shows the ? and stays like that forever.. what do i have to do? It's impossible that my machine is acting like that... i was always been able to boot at least with my DVD player...

I tried all kinds of keyboard combinations like "C", "X", "command" etc etc...

What do i do???

thanks

William!
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

If you have an external drive with an OS installed you should be able to boor from that. Start with the Mac turned off and try the following:

1. Make sure the external disk drive is turn on and give it a moment to spin up to speed.
2. Turn the Mac on and immediately hold down the Option key.
3. You should soon see a list of available drives to boot from. Select the external drive and press Enter/Return.

If you do not have an external drive with the OS on it do you have access to another Mac? That opens up use of either Target Disk Mode or putting the drive in an enclosure and running Disk Utility on the drive from another Mac.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

I thought of another option if you do not have another Mac or an external drive with the OS installed:

1. Turn the Mac on and immediately press Command S simultaneously.
2. When text stops scrolling by type fsck - y and press Enter.
3. If the Mac reports some errors were repaired repeat the fsck command until it reports there are no more errors.
4. At the bottom of the screen it will tell you what to type to reboot the machine.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
will99

will99 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slydude View Post
I thought of another option if you do not have another Mac or an external drive with the OS installed:

1. Turn the Mac on and immediately press Command S simultaneously.
2. When text stops scrolling by type fsck - y and press Enter.
3. If the Mac reports some errors were repaired repeat the fsck command until it reports there are no more errors.
4. At the bottom of the screen it will tell you what to type to reboot the machine.
I thank you very much sir... i think my system has even bigger problems and honestly i dont know why... because even the COMMAND S doesn't show me anything... something must have gone really wrong... i will try to bring it to Apple tomorrow and see what they say... if its that bad i think i will have no choice to go buy another one ... ****!

Thanks

William!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Gaming RAM 3/4 GM early 2007 MBP | HDD Upgrade »