New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

hard disk died :(...help needed picking ssd

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

xDMNDx

xDMNDx is on a distinguished road

Last night my Hard Disk died for the second time since I bought my Macbook...confirmed by the nice people at the apple store today... I'm really upset about the whole thing .

I've now lost faith in the conventional Hard Disks and I'm looking to switch to a SSD, which I have been told is much more reliable and performs alot better. However, I need some help.

The guy at the apple store said that I'd have to buy the SSD with a copy of Snow Leopard 10.6 (to enable TRIM(?) :confused and he'd install it all for me, as I'm pretty useless with this type of thing.

But I'm not sure what SSD is compatible with my MacBook (details below), as there are many on the INTEL website.
-----------------------------
I have a 13" MacBook (White Mid-2007) with the following spec:

Processor: 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
RAM: 2GB
Hard Disk: 160GB 5400RPM SATA 2.5"
-----------------------------
I know I want an INTEL 120GB SSD (Not other brands for the purposes of reliability and as this was the brand highly recommended to me).

Also, this whole "SATA, SATA II, SATA-300" and "TRIM" business confuses me :confused:

Questions...
Can anyone suggest any INTEL 120GB SSDs (with links) that are compatible with my MacBook?
Does the SSD have to be "SATA" or "SATA II", or does this not matter?

This is really urgent and I'd really appreciate any help.

Thanks x
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.2

G'day and welcome to the forums.

Well be aware that SSD are also FREDs and are liable to failure as are all electronics. You do not have to buy an SSD, any major brand drive such as Seagate, Western Digital, Hitachi, Fujitsu etc well all work. SSD come in SATA II 3GB/s transfer, and later models SATA III, 6GB/s transfer. As your MacBook is SATA II buy one of those those, as the faster drive will be forced to throttle down to the slower speed. As to brand that is up to you. Personally use OWC Mercury Extreme and a Kingston SSD and neither have had problems, as he touches wood quickly.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« 2006 macbook keeps freezing | Hard drive failure »