New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Replacement for the headphone jack on macbook

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

saurongt

saurongt is on a distinguished road

The headphone jack on my macbook has a piece of a headphone plug stuck inside. I've tried to put a drop of superglue on the remaining piece of the headphones and put it back together, but it didn't come out.

Anyway, I was thinking, if I could find a replacement for the jack on the cheap, i'd be able to replace it myself. Problem is I'm not sure where to look for the replacement. Are those jacks standardized? Where can I order one? I've looked into finding a broken motherboard on ebay, but they seem to go for over $100.

Any help will be appreciated..
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Try again to remove the headphone piece. There are numerous posts regarding the same problem as yours. Do a search and maybe one of the methods you find will work for you.

Replacing the jack is not an easy job and may do damage to the logic board in the process.
QUOTE Thanks
saurongt

I've looked at a lot of posts, and all the solutions suggest to either use a paper clip with bent tip or to glue the connector back together. The paper clip idea didn't work for me, as I can barely even get it in there, much less retain the bent tip. I'm guessing it would work if only the tip of the plug was stuck, but the connector broke about half way to the tip. The glueing didn't work either. So for now I've ordered a USB audio converter. But if there are any other ideas out there, I'd be interested to learn.
QUOTE Thanks
MacDude121

MacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of lightMacDude121 is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram

Really tiny tweezers? Like the surgical pointy kind, it might take some doing, but you might be able to wiggle the plug out of there.
QUOTE Thanks
redraven571

redraven571 is on a distinguished road

My son had a problem with the headphone jack on his new 13" MBP and it is part of the logic board (i.e. - it required a logic board replacement which was, fortunately, covered by the warranty).
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Unfortunately, Apple will not replace the jack alone since the components on that board are surface mounted. Their fix is to replace the entire logic board, which if you don't have Apple care can be expensive.
QUOTE Thanks
zacster

zacster is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Intel iMac 20" Core Duo 256mb VRam 115gb SSD 2gb Ram Finally!!!

Try using a tiny screw and threading it into the broken piece. Or a very powerful vacuum. Another thought is to cryo the piece and maybe it'll shrink enough to fall out. All are longshots.
QUOTE Thanks
saurongt

Quote:
Originally Posted by zacster View Post
Try using a tiny screw and threading it into the broken piece. Or a very powerful vacuum. Another thought is to cryo the piece and maybe it'll shrink enough to fall out. All are longshots.
Yeah, I've thought of using a screw remover, but really haven't seen anything tiny enough. I don't think vacuum or freezing will work at all It's held there really well. I'm sure there are specialized tools out there that can get this done, but will probably cost north of $50 (if not $100), which is simply not worth it.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Possible HD damage | White MacBook Unibody 2010 Version »