New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Early Macbook Pro 2011 HDD Upgrade?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Fistlo

Fistlo is on a distinguished road

Hey all I currently have the Hitachi HTS545050B9A302 (standard hdd) installed.

I am wondering if anyone has benchmarks on this drive and if would see considerable performance increases by installing a faster drive.

Would one recommend moving to an SSD (Currently I am using close to 400GB) or just moving to a better HDD?

I am looking at also purchasing the new LaCie thunderbolt external drive... it looks like this will be faster than my internal drive?

Any advice/ good links would be appreciated. I've looked into SSD but I don't want to drop close to a grand to get the amount of space I need.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Here's my take.... Right now prices for both a large SSD (320 to 500 GB) and the just announced line of Thunderbolt hard drives are such that it's hard (for me anyway) to justify purchasing one. Perhaps later on when prices come down, I'll change my mind.

If you're looking for a faster hard drive, consider purchasing a 7200 RPM model. Western Digital has just come out with a 1 TB model that will fit in a MBP. There are also 750 GB models available from several manufacturers.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« 2011 MBP SuperDrive a different spec? | Thinking of upgrading from 4G to 8G RAM on MPB 13 2.3 GHz i5.. »