New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MAcbook pro 17" display pink lines problem?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

markob

markob is on a distinguished road

I got macbook pro 17",2.4ghz,core duo,nvidia geforce 8600gt 256mb ddr3 sdram, 3 years old, and i have this vertical pink lines, where white colour should be. On TV-OUT i get normal picture like it should be.

Someone says its video card, someone says its LCD. I saw Apple link where they sad that it can be serviced for free couse gt8600 card, but on my service in europe thay sad that if TV-OUT work than its LCD, so how can i get to Apple contact, which can call my service in europe and tell them what to do? Some email for apple contact??
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2011-09-21 14.57.59.jpg (139.1 KB, 27 views)
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by markob View Post
Someone says its video card, someone says its LCD. I saw Apple link where they sad that it can be serviced for free couse gt8600 card, but on my service in europe thay sad that if TV-OUT work than its LCD, so how can i get to Apple contact, which can call my service in europe and tell them what to do? Some email for apple contact??
This is a well known problem...and as you mentioned...Apple has a special repair program to deal this problem. If you haven't read it...here's an official statement from Apple:

MacBook Pro: Distorted video or no video issues

As far as who to contact...tough to say. Maybe someone located in Europe can offer some suggestions.

Good luck,

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
markob

Yes i read that, but it is hard to understaind what is waranty issue and what not. In my service apple in europe sad that my problem is not in this issue, but you know services, always tried to had nothing to do with problems for free waranties only for cash.

Iv read of someone topic that his apple service wont repair it until he contact apple in USA and his service even replaced LCD wich its not mentioned in link you attached. My apple service sad bring laptop to us to diagnostic him but we can say in 95% that your problem will not issue a free waranty, so they want tho charge me 50$ for diagnostic
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

The folks who advised you that the problem was not the infamous nVidia graphics card failure are probably correct. Since the video displays fine on an external monitor the graphics card should be OK. It looks like your LCD may be at fault.

Another quick test you can do to verify the above is take a screen shot. If the screen shot is normal, you have eliminated the graphics card. Bad LCD.
QUOTE Thanks
markob

I did printscreen and picture of desktop is normal on my xp7 pc. So i have bad contact or bad LCD? Its probabl a cable, bu where can i look to se problem, is it seen by the eye?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute

It's not a bad video card as the screenshot is OK. If the video cable were bad or intermittent, the screen would go black or would be on and off. It looks like you need a new LCD.
QUOTE Thanks
markob

Ok but how the **** LCD can had distortion in picture like in my case pink where white should be, and that the icons had ghosting, that was on CRT monitors, how can liquid crystals had ghost distortion? And how can pink replace white colour, something must trigger it?

I have open mac and open LCD on my table right now
Attached Images
File Type: jpg display.jpg (122.8 KB, 23 views)
QUOTE Thanks
markob

Here are the pictures, in

Picture 1 and 2 its adjusted to full resolution and MILLIONS of colours.

Picture 3 and 4 its adjusted to full resolution and THOUSANDS of colours.

So at THOUSANDS of colours pink is not so much present, but still dont work.
You see at TV test picture a green lines at black nad so.
Sorry for bad picture but you can see that the picture is still bad, only pink is not so much preset
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2011-09-22 12.27.33.jpg (132.9 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg 2011-09-22 12.27.46.jpg (156.8 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg 2011-09-22 12.28.41.jpg (135.7 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg 2011-09-22 12.28.49.jpg (127.2 KB, 23 views)
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

What do you want us to tell you? The LCD appears to be bad and likely needs to be changed. Take the machine back to Apple and let them test it if you don't trust anyone's opinion here.
QUOTE Thanks
markob

I just showing as much as i can that the others can see an maybee help if someone had the same problem.

The answer "its probably LCD" i can do my selfe, no offense, i was thinking that someone repair it.

I was thinking if problem is in PCB and elements on top of the LCD, couse LCD itself in my opinion cannot display that kind of picture.
QUOTE Thanks
bostonspace

bostonspace is on a distinguished road

I have experienced this same problem... And it is the connection to the lcd... something, wiring or otherwise has come loose near the joint of the monitor and computer...
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Brand New In Box Macbook Pros on Craigslist | Mouse won't work with Macbook »